Magic Jack news anyone?

I know this has been discussed here in the past but have a lot of people gone with this service since the last time it was brought up? Have people decided it is good or bad. I installed it a few days ago and so far everything went very well and I have no complaints.

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
John Jones

I heard people complaining about all the better business bureau complaints in Florida. It also only works on the Windoz platform.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I have read many reviews in forums like PC Mag and some have said that is an old problem that might have just been a matter of extra support help with installation on the MAC. I did notice that there were many complaints but as far as I could tell all were from people that weren't even capable of following the simple instructions. If you have a Mac and are thinking about getting a Magic Jack I would suggest contacting them via Email and ask. I had no trouble asking a simple question which they responded in minutes on Sunday. The only down sides are you need to keep your computer on and may need to purchase an external USB hub for more power. The good part is you can take it anywhere and use it when you travel if you have access to high speed internet. I have been using Vonage for a few years and added Magic Jack as a second line to see how well it works over time. So far it seems identical in every way with voice mail and an email sent to you when you have a message. You just can't beat the 20 bucks a year but some have predicted that might not last. It seems something like that is too good to be true. Maybe they might get bought out by a bigger company.

JJ

Reply to
John Jones

Not all computers need an external USB hub. Pack one if you need one or if you plan to use a different system. A phone is nice unless you want to use a headphone/mic combo. I see those small Bluetooth devices that might be nice.

Reply to
John Jones

So when you travel do you pack a telephone and a USB hub?

Reply to
metspitzer

"John Jones" wrote in news:ApednaGFY6FsX6jVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I just got mine in the mail. Had problems trying to set it up and getting Error 3 proxy error.

Used the MJ live support. Helpful, but couldn't locate the problem. She told me the ports to use to allow on my firewall.

Well, the firewall is hard to understand. I disabled the firewall and MJ works like a charm. I emailed the firewall people (Sunbelt formerly owned by Kerio) just now to see how to set it up to allow MJ to connect.

Will let you know how it turns out.

p.s. I tested MJ at work. It's not good because they have a rotten DSL connection on a network. It's kinda slow and when I called someone she said it kept cutting in and out. At home I have cable. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Are you referring to Windows Firewall? You can allow MJ through if you add it in Exceptions window. It should already be configured for MJ application.

Reply to
John Jones

"John Jones" wrote in news:FoednbkdVuIK8KLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

No, the windows firewall is disabled. I use a 3rd party the name I wrote above. I just wrote to Tech support. Maybe they can test out the MJ and tell me what settings to use. Marina

Reply to
Marina

"John Jones" wrote in news:FoednbkdVuIK8KLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

No, the windows firewall is disabled. I use a 3rd party the name I wrote above. I just wrote to Tech support. Maybe they can test out the MJ and tell me what settings to use. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Oh, Ya. Sunbelt. For some reason I was thinking you was your ISP. Well, good luck. I have tried other firewalls but went back to Windows firewall. To bad your DSL at work is to slow. Maybe the network is just to busy to handle the traffic.

JJ.

Reply to
John Jones

"John Jones" wrote in news:0cCdnT4KZ731dKLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A couple emails and a phone call to Sunbelt firewall and now MJ will work without any firewall blocking. I wasn't sure where the preferences were on the firewall. He had me remove some box tics and then allow MJ both In and Out. So far so good. I called people and they can hear me. I just called another person and I think he had a problem, but I'm not sure. I think he uses a cell phone at his business. There seemed to be a 1 second delay or else it was sounding low audio for him. Will find out later. It could be he was just busy being the time of day and all. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Good news that you have that working ok now. Maybe you can work on the DSL problem at work. When I first got Vonage I had to make some adjustments a few times. I am trying to remember exactly what it was but it had to do with sound quality. I will look in some of my archived emails for more. I do remember it was a bandwidth tweak but after a few tries all was well and that was a few years ago. Maybe you can configure a different port or using port forwarding might solve it. If I come up with anything I will post back. You do the same if you find a solution from MJ support.

Good luck.

JJ

Reply to
John Jones

I found some posts about the delay and echo problems and a possible fix.

John Jones

John Jones