Magic Jack and a power hub

Page 3 of 4  

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Just like Google 'is designed' to run on a box with GUIs. GUIs are required for Google to deliver their ADS! Well, surprise, surprise, AD-Based businesses can be profitable!. George, I guess you don't use google because of their 'business model', hey?
Leroy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
[snip]

They want to make sure you run their spyware.
One little thing in the user agreement says they can use the numbers you dial to provide advertisements.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Lloyd wrote:

I must have missed that. Could you provide the location for where you saw that, or copy the user agreement and paste it here?
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Bugg wrote:

MJ's TOS is here: http://www.magicjack.com/tos /
Item 11 covers the advertisements.
Worry about MJ using dialed numbers to provide localization and such is rather pointless, IMO. Compared to the likelyhood that many/most/all telecom calls are recorded in their entirety?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Leroy wrote:

Thanks for that.

I misread your post initially and somehow thought you had said that MJ may send advertisements to the numbers you dial. [slapping forehead]. I agree with you, it's not a big deal.
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Of course they COULD, but I don't think we're ready for that yet. People need more time to get used to such invasion of privacy.
I thought they were talking about the advertisements they put on the system that's hosting "your" MagicJack. Like if you called a car dealer, they might show you more car ads.
Also, you seem to have gotten the attribution wrong. I'm the one who first mentioned that part of the TOS.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That would be one reason they use such complicated language. Long sentences are hard to read, and it's easy to miss something.

BTW, I'd have to find it AGAIN, but I needed to do a little reading anyway.
It's near the middle of part 11 (Advertisements) of the user agreement (http://www.magicjack.com/tos /). Strangely, that's the only section heading not in bold , as if they hoped you wouldn't notice it. The relevant sentence is "Our computers may analyze the phone numbers and your registration information you call in order to improve the relevance of our ads.". I notice part of it doesn't make sense, but it still looks bad.
User agreements are largely irrelevant, since the company always reserves the right to many ANY changes it wants to at any time. However, this is saying the capability to do it DOES exist. Other spyware capabilities are there too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Naw, I saw it the first time. What created my confusion was misreading what you had written and interpreting it to mean that MJ may send advertisements to the numbers that are dialed. My bad. :-)
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:59:37 -0500, Mark Lloyd

How would that happen?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

By happening, of course :-)
They have to have access to the numbers you call in order to complete calls. Everyone has access to a directory. If you call a Ford dealer somewhere, they can know that, and send you new car ads.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

No. But you haven't presented an accurate picture of how MJ works. So how about answering my question: Are you saying I am forced to watch an ad before I can dial or recieve calls? I make calls by dialing my phone just like I would dial any other phone. The gui is small, doesn't prevent me from using other applications whilst on the phone, and is minimized to my tray. So if there ARE ads running, so what?

Even IF what you state is accurate, so what? For $1.58 per month for good call quality on long distance, I couldn't care less. If MJ folds, and again that's IF, I've already had a return on my purchase in MJ many times over..... so far, I've saved over $65.00 from a traditional voip.

I don't leave my computer 'on' any longer with MJ than before MJ. I suspect most people don't either. Since most folks have cell phones, I suspect that MJ is just a cheap way to access toll-free long distance. And since I never see the ads and it doesn't impact my computer or usage in any way, so what?

So what? If the computer is running anyway, what does it matter? Even if someone chooses to run their computer 24 hours a day, so what?

You keep repeatedly stating the same stuff. I get it. Your arguments aren't persuasive.
I could give a rat's ass whether MJ lives or dies... I'm totally ambivalent. I tried MJ, it worked as advertised so I didn't return it and it has saved me money. MJ hasn't changed my computer usage, nor my computer access. Are you sure you don't work for Vonage?, because it seems pretty silly to be foaming at the mouth with rants against MJ.
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Bugg wrote:

Because it wastes power. Likely you have never done an analysis of where power waste occurs in a home. Most people would point at the high power appliances but in reality it is the lower power continuous loads. Slow and steady always wins the waste race. I care because collectively it is a large waste of power because of a stupid business model and I can certainly voice my opinion.
And maybe you don't care but check for new posts in this thread where someone asks why does it need a computer when a low power usage adapter would work (except for majicjack).

Likely because I am not trying to persuade anyone. I repeated stuff because people didn't read what I wrote.

marketing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

Who says?

Sure, voice it all you want. But until you do something about the huge waste of energy that server farms generate, I don't think I'll worry much about whether someone decides to keep a computer on. Individual choice.

Then the simple answer is for the consumer to choose what they want. NO ONE is forced to buy MJ, nor are they clueless about MJ after they install and use it. If one doesn't like MJ, they can get a refund.

No, that's not it.

You are.

Good for you.
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Bugg wrote:

Me, if you did likely you chose to ignore the results.

But what do server farms which are commercial operations have to do with someone needing to leave a computer running because of a poorly designed program?
That argument makes as much sense as deciding commercial trucks use a lot of fuel so it doesn't matter if you drive a truck too to transport yourself around. So lets say your truck (escalade, tahoe etc) gets 10 MPG less fuel economy than a normal car. If you drive say 15,000 miles/year you would *only* waste 1,500 gallons. 10 million like minded individuals would waste 15 billion gallons/year.
As you said its your choice.

See my post 5 minutes ago to someone who asked me to repeat what I explicitly wrote. Marketing is a powerful thing and people don't know how to process contrary factual information.

Actually no. You are the one who seems to be upset about someone mentioning the flaws and taking the "magic" from what you want to believe.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Let's see, you make a statement speculating about what I have or have not done. Then you speculate about my response to what I have or have not done. ROTFLOL!!! It seems that you enjoy exchanging speculation for actual knowledge. This is the same modus operandi as what you claim as "knowledge" of the MJ business model.

Waste is waste.

Not really. It's saying that computer operations are interconnected at all levels, and it seems silly to be ranting about relatively small amounts of energy use IF a computer is left on 24/7 (I don't, but some may) when the commercial on-line infrastructures use and waste HUGE levels of power.

Let's not since there is no connection.

Just repost the question here. I don't save posts which have been read.

"Contrary factual information"? If the information is factual, how can it be "contrary"? The problem is that you are not presenting factual information. You are inserting personal speculation with a bit of fact. The saying goes that lies mixed with a bit truth is still a lie.

Actually yes.

Apparently you fail to see a difference between amused indifference to your speculations and emotional distress. LOL!! The fact remains that I responded to the series of speculations and incorrect information. The only fact that you have been correct about is that MJ operates only when the computer is on. The rest is pure personal opinion and wild-eyed speculation.

What "magic"? Are you saying that you believe that MJ is "magic"? Too funny. The fact is that for me and others, the MJ works as advertised. That you don't like the way it functions or its "business model" (which is nothing but speculation on your part) is beside the point.
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

If that should begin, I could care less. Although the gui for MJ opens when you dial, you don't need the gui to dial. It is small when it does open, and it doesn't interfere with my use of the computer when I call.
--
Dave
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
George wrote:

Yet you did not try the MJ on another computer, preferably at another location to further isolate or define the problem? Here's a good site to test your box/connections 'capability' for voip with no voip hardware needed:
http://www.testyourvoip.com /
I've never got less than a 4.3 rating, on the 0-5 scale. Again this is with no voip hardware.

Who are the sock puppets? Those who are satisfied with MJ? That is funny. Realize that there are probably thousands of users who aren't aware of forums who just plugged the sucker in and it worked. People without questions don't seek out forums. I did before ordering it because I'm a geek.

Now, that is irony. You ask questions and there are *too* many suggestions of dslreports? Must be a conspiracy, huh? <g> dslreports is probably the most widely known sourceof computer communications info. There's another forum at http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/ , but I won't suggest it because that might make me a sock puppet. <g>

Not many want an ad-driven ISP with some dsl packages as low as ten bucks per month. many 'ad-driven' models are successful, Google, Yahoo, MySpace, YouTube, etc. Not to mention radio and TV?

I've always had a computer on while I'm at home and awake, so the 3 watts for the MJ is nothing. With the monitor in 'conserve' my modem, router, and pc use less than 160 wtts. While away or asleep, I power it down and MJ voice mail catches the calls. Not the world's best VM by far, but it's intelligible and MJ even emails the messages to my gmail account.
The 30 day free trial makes it very low risk to try. I've had MJ for a little over a month and am quite satisfied with it. 20 bucks per year for local and LD. Beats the heck out of a $35 per month land line with absolutely *NO* features.
I may just be lucky being in the right location for the MJ network, who knows, but, for me it's a helluva bargain.
Leroy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

How many computers and homes are you required to have for Magic Jack? I need it to work at my house with my connection on my computer.
You say thousands plug it in and it works, but the forum suggest an infinite amount of things to try if you don't have success.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

Other home/computer suggestion was to help you determine if your connection is to blame or the MJ hardware is to blame.
How does your computer fare at: http://www.testyourvoip.com/ ? A quick test, java required, but no registration.

Infinite might be a tad overstatement. <g> Do realize that the forums cover a period of over a year and a lot of glitches have been worked out in the hardware, client software, and network during that period. And again, folks typically go to forums with problems, not successes.
Leroy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.