Magic Jack and a power hub

Maybe, maybe not.

Who says?

Sure, voice it all you want. But until you do something about the huge waste of energy that server farms generate, I don't think I'll worry much about whether someone decides to keep a computer on. Individual choice.

Then the simple answer is for the consumer to choose what they want. NO ONE is forced to buy MJ, nor are they clueless about MJ after they install and use it. If one doesn't like MJ, they can get a refund.

No, that's not it.

You are.

Good for you.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Whether ads are running or not, the gui ... on which ads would run (if it is true about ads, which may or may not be true)... is not obstructive to computer use nor is required to be watched for the purposes of making or receiving calls. So it matters not if ads are implemented as part of a business model if that keeps my ability to make toll-free long distance calls to only $1.58 per month.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

On 8/18/2008 1:35 PM George spake thus:

So you're saying that this app (Magic Jack) is *intentionally* designed

*not* to be able to run on an itty-bitty box? Not challenging you, just want to know.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I would say they would do it the same way the "free and cheap" ISPs did it. The last one of those I saw had a proprietary dialer. You clicked on it and it displayed something like "please enjoy these commercials", it dialed and connected and displayed a series of commercials for at least three minutes. You couldn't minimize it and launching a browser accomplished nothing because you were supposed to wait for the commercials to play and then it would launch the browser and take you to their home page.

Reply to
George

Yes, that is how it is designed.

Reply to
George

Me, if you did likely you chose to ignore the results.

But what do server farms which are commercial operations have to do with someone needing to leave a computer running because of a poorly designed program?

That argument makes as much sense as deciding commercial trucks use a lot of fuel so it doesn't matter if you drive a truck too to transport yourself around. So lets say your truck (escalade, tahoe etc) gets 10 MPG less fuel economy than a normal car. If you drive say 15,000 miles/year you would *only* waste 1,500 gallons. 10 million like minded individuals would waste 15 billion gallons/year.

As you said its your choice.

See my post 5 minutes ago to someone who asked me to repeat what I explicitly wrote. Marketing is a powerful thing and people don't know how to process contrary factual information.

Actually no. You are the one who seems to be upset about someone mentioning the flaws and taking the "magic" from what you want to believe.

Reply to
George

Then I would say you are obviously incapable of comprehending info that's been posted here a number of times in this thread.

  1. Interaction with a gui is not needed to make or receive a call, just pick up the phone attached to MJ and *USE* it.
  2. The mechanism for delivering ads is already in place and functional, but commercial ads have not started. Currrenly MJ displays one of two MJ-related messages in the 'mini-ad' space on the gui.
3.Your 'power-hungry' complaint is a red herring. I and many MJ users do not leave the computer/mj on 24-7, but instead use the phone while the computer is on during normal use. The MJ device adds *less than 2.5 Watts* of drain to that of the computer. That's about 1/20 th of a penny per hour. Many of us work and play with computers so it's darned handy to have an almost free phone to use while on or near the computer.

I, too, am beginning to think that you, George, are a shill for a competing voip provider. You don't seem to grasp the rather simple feedback you're getting to your anti-commercials screed.

Leroy

Reply to
Leroy

Just like Google 'is designed' to run on a box with GUIs. GUIs are required for Google to deliver their ADS! Well, surprise, surprise, AD-Based businesses can be profitable!. George, I guess you don't use google because of their 'business model', hey?

Leroy

Reply to
Leroy

Do you actually have a reading comprehension problem? Please quote exactly where I said that there is a requirement for that in place.

Is everyone so hypnotized by the marketing that they can't even read for content?

Reply to
George

LOOK Above for your words, George. They *are* quoted. Sheesh!

I cannot begin to surmise why *you* cannot read for content.

PCTKB!

Leroy

Reply to
Leroy

Irony

Reply to
metspitzer

You might say it, but I very much doubt it. Have you seen the gui for the software dialer (which is not needed to dial a number)? It acts just like any other application. When it (small window) pops up, it can be minimized or it disappears behind any other application window that you activate. It is not intrusive.

MJ doesn't. You can dial directly from your phone.

  1. You don't need to dial through a "dialer".
  2. The MJ gui minimizes.
  3. You don't launch a browser to use MJ.
  4. You are doing a lot of supposing which is not the same thing as fact.
  5. If you have a reliable, stone-cold factual cite which confirms what you are speculating about please provide it. I'd love to see it.
Reply to
Dave Bugg

Let's see, you make a statement speculating about what I have or have not done. Then you speculate about my response to what I have or have not done. ROTFLOL!!! It seems that you enjoy exchanging speculation for actual knowledge. This is the same modus operandi as what you claim as "knowledge" of the MJ business model.

Waste is waste.

Not really. It's saying that computer operations are interconnected at all levels, and it seems silly to be ranting about relatively small amounts of energy use IF a computer is left on 24/7 (I don't, but some may) when the commercial on-line infrastructures use and waste HUGE levels of power.

Let's not since there is no connection.

Just repost the question here. I don't save posts which have been read.

"Contrary factual information"? If the information is factual, how can it be "contrary"? The problem is that you are not presenting factual information. You are inserting personal speculation with a bit of fact. The saying goes that lies mixed with a bit truth is still a lie.

Actually yes.

Apparently you fail to see a difference between amused indifference to your speculations and emotional distress. LOL!! The fact remains that I responded to the series of speculations and incorrect information. The only fact that you have been correct about is that MJ operates only when the computer is on. The rest is pure personal opinion and wild-eyed speculation.

What "magic"? Are you saying that you believe that MJ is "magic"? Too funny. The fact is that for me and others, the MJ works as advertised. That you don't like the way it functions or its "business model" (which is nothing but speculation on your part) is beside the point.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Right here: [Start Quote] "I would say they would do it the same way the "free and cheap" ISPs did it. The last one of those I saw had a proprietary dialer. You clicked on it and it displayed something like "please enjoy these commercials", it dialed and connected and displayed a series of commercials for at least three minutes. You couldn't minimize it and launching a browser accomplished nothing because you were supposed to wait for the commercials to play and then it would launch the browser and take you to their home page." [End Quote]

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Are you so hypnotized by magicjack and you want to believe so badly that you don't understand tense?

Read this snip of what I wrote really carefully and tell me if it describes present tense (think about what "would" indicates and no I am not trying to bash you I just can't understand how people are so sensitive about "magicjack" that they just imagine reading stuff):

"I would say they would do it the..."

Then please tell me why you ask this:

  1. Interaction with a gui is not needed to make or receive a call, >>> just pick up the phone attached to MJ and *USE* it.

I really can't believe that the marketing is so good that people are treating magijack like it is some sort of religious experience and the true believers just can't stand it when someone points out the flaws.

Reply to
George

[ condescending conjecture ignored ]

[ Weasel Word Detector is beeping very loudly here ]

Well, I guess I *would* say you're full of crap. But that's in the future right? So I didn't say it. Yet. Not very good verbal tapdancing on your part, George.

You painted MJ with the same brush as those service providers that *force* the user to view commercials before being able to use the service. I simply pointed out that MJ doesn't *require* that the user view commercials or ads. It can be used like a regular ATA.

duh, describing that no ads or commercials need be involved as you *would* falsely say.

Actually MJ's marketing is lousy in my view what with the TV ads reminiscent of Ronco VegeMatic. There's no phone support, but what would you really expect for 20 bucks per year? I tried it because of the Free Trial, figured no risk there. And what the heck, it works fine for me.

As for flaws, George, go ahead and point them out. You've yet to produce any of real substance IMO. MJ may fail? Sure, it may, but til then I've got a good phone service. Each month it succeeds is a month I don't pay $30+ per month to the telecom *monopolies*. Or 20+ to vonage or whoever.

Leroy

Reply to
Leroy

So instead of responding "gee, I misread what you wrote" you launch into this nonsense. This is a discussion group and the only tool we have to describe our ideas is the written word.

Reply to
George
[snip]

They want to make sure you run their spyware.

One little thing in the user agreement says they can use the numbers you dial to provide advertisements.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I must have missed that. Could you provide the location for where you saw that, or copy the user agreement and paste it here?

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I never misread what you wrote, perhaps you 'miswrote'? I was just illustrating how the use of 'would' really does not negate statements, regardless of tense.

So, instead of responding "gee, I thought I knew how MagicJack worked, but since I've never used it, maybe some of my statements were incorrenct", you tell me that I misread. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid admitting you furnished some misinformation on magicjack. Using a common discussion device of avoid defending one's assertions by questioning the reader's ability to read and understand.

True. Perhaps, if you had presented your MJ claims as opinions rather than facts, this interchange would never have taken place?

Leroy

Reply to
Leroy