Magic Jack and a power hub

Page 2 of 4

Leroy wrote:

similar to what the "free" and "cheap" ISPs had. You paid a lower rate because theoretically the ads that you were required to watch would pay the difference. They are also similar because unlike tv for example there is additional cost for the provider with each subscriber because they have to assign a phone number and there is cost to place calls especially off of their own network that increases with use.
George wrote:

And, unlike TV, (unless you're in a country where you pay a TV 'tax'), MJ charges a subscription for each MJ connection. So? I guess I'm dense. Are you saying MJ is destined to failure because other ventures that sold ads failed? Not a justified conclusion, in my mind.
Leroy wrote:

comments as an attack rather than an observation from someone who does understand what is required to run a VoIP business and why it is very likely magicjack has an unsustainable business model. No examples I give will ever make any sense to you because you want to believe that magicjack is somehow "magic".
Lets just agree to disagree.
George wrote:

So you are claiming that I won't be able to make or recieve a phone call until I watch an ad? Do you really think anyone sits and watches their dialer gui while making a call? I don't get what your issue is here.
--
Dave
Dave Bugg wrote:

I don't have an issue. Is there some issue about discussing how something actually works?
The subscription fee isn't even close to anywhere near the actual cost of providing the service. The reason they chose the energy wasting idea of having a computer running is so they could display ads. There is no technical reason to have a full blown computer running for VoIP. All of the functions are typically implemented in a tiny box that has a network port and a phone port. Right now they are burning up investors money and the next step is they will need to turn on the ads. That is their business model. There is nothing magical about magicjack. It is the exact same model that was used by the "cheap and free" ISPs that are now nothing by a vague memory. I agree that I couldn't be bothered watching an ad in order to make a call but that is the business model.
On 8/17/2008 6:43 AM George spake thus:

Pardon my confusion, as I don't know exactly how this thing works, but if it's true, as D. Bugg says, that one needn't watch the screen at all for incoming calls, couldn't one just use the tiny network box for this? Or is there some user interface interaction required to take and place calls?
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

are no ads because they are running on investor money. The reason they chose the power wasting method of needing a computer is so they can deliver ads. There is nothing technically magical about magicjack. It uses SIP like the other VoIP providers with some proprietary stuff to prevent use of an ATA, the "tiny network box" you described.
George wrote:

Whether ads are running or not, the gui ... on which ads would run (if it is true about ads, which may or may not be true)... is not obstructive to computer use nor is required to be watched for the purposes of making or receiving calls. So it matters not if ads are implemented as part of a business model if that keeps my ability to make toll-free long distance calls to only $1.58 per month.
--
Dave
Dave Bugg wrote:

it. The last one of those I saw had a proprietary dialer. You clicked on it and it displayed something like "please enjoy these commercials", it dialed and connected and displayed a series of commercials for at least three minutes. You couldn't minimize it and launching a browser accomplished nothing because you were supposed to wait for the commercials to play and then it would launch the browser and take you to their home page.
George wrote:

Then I would say you are obviously incapable of comprehending info that's been posted here a number of times in this thread.
1. Interaction with a gui is not needed to make or receive a call, just pick up the phone attached to MJ and *USE* it.
2. The mechanism for delivering ads is already in place and functional, but commercial ads have not started. Currrenly MJ displays one of two MJ-related messages in the 'mini-ad' space on the gui.
3.Your 'power-hungry' complaint is a red herring. I and many MJ users do not leave the computer/mj on 24-7, but instead use the phone while the computer is on during normal use. The MJ device adds *less than 2.5 Watts* of drain to that of the computer. That's about 1/20 th of a penny per hour. Many of us work and play with computers so it's darned handy to have an almost free phone to use while on or near the computer.
I, too, am beginning to think that you, George, are a shill for a competing voip provider. You don't seem to grasp the rather simple feedback you're getting to your anti-commercials screed.
Leroy
Leroy wrote:

Do you actually have a reading comprehension problem? Please quote exactly where I said that there is a requirement for that in place.
Is everyone so hypnotized by the marketing that they can't even read for content?

George wrote:

LOOK Above for your words, George. They *are* quoted. Sheesh!

I cannot begin to surmise why *you* cannot read for content.
PCTKB! <g>
Leroy
Leroy wrote:

Are you so hypnotized by magicjack and you want to believe so badly that you don't understand tense?
Read this snip of what I wrote really carefully and tell me if it describes present tense (think about what "would" indicates and no I am not trying to bash you I just can't understand how people are so sensitive about "magicjack" that they just imagine reading stuff):
"I would say they would do it the..."
Then please tell me why you ask this:
1. Interaction with a gui is not needed to make or receive a call, >>> just pick up the phone attached to MJ and *USE* it.
I really can't believe that the marketing is so good that people are treating magijack like it is some sort of religious experience and the true believers just can't stand it when someone points out the flaws.

George wrote:

[ condescending conjecture ignored ]

[ Weasel Word Detector is beeping very loudly here ]
Well, I guess I *would* say you're full of crap. But that's in the future right? So I didn't say it. Yet. <g> Not very good verbal tapdancing on your part, George.
You painted MJ with the same brush as those service providers that *force* the user to view commercials before being able to use the service. I simply pointed out that MJ doesn't *require* that the user view commercials or ads. It can be used like a regular ATA.

duh, describing that no ads or commercials need be involved as you *would* falsely say.

Actually MJ's marketing is lousy in my view what with the TV ads reminiscent of Ronco VegeMatic. There's no phone support, but what would you really expect for 20 bucks per year? I tried it because of the Free Trial, figured no risk there. And what the heck, it works fine for me.
As for flaws, George, go ahead and point them out. You've yet to produce any of real substance IMO. MJ may fail? Sure, it may, but til then I've got a good phone service. Each month it succeeds is a month I don't pay $30+ per month to the telecom *monopolies*. Or 20+ to vonage or whoever.
Leroy
Leroy wrote:

So instead of responding "gee, I misread what you wrote" you launch into this nonsense. This is a discussion group and the only tool we have to describe our ideas is the written word.

George wrote:

I never misread what you wrote, perhaps you 'miswrote'? I was just illustrating how the use of 'would' really does not negate statements, regardless of tense.
So, instead of responding "gee, I thought I knew how MagicJack worked, but since I've never used it, maybe some of my statements were incorrenct", you tell me that I misread. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid admitting you furnished some misinformation on magicjack. Using a common discussion device of avoid defending one's assertions by questioning the reader's ability to read and understand.

True. Perhaps, if you had presented your MJ claims as opinions rather than facts, this interchange would never have taken place?
Leroy
George wrote:

Right here: [Start Quote] "I would say they would do it the same way the "free and cheap" ISPs did it. The last one of those I saw had a proprietary dialer. You clicked on it and it displayed something like "please enjoy these commercials", it dialed and connected and displayed a series of commercials for at least three minutes. You couldn't minimize it and launching a browser accomplished nothing because you were supposed to wait for the commercials to play and then it would launch the browser and take you to their home page." [End Quote]
--
Dave

Irony
George wrote:

You might say it, but I very much doubt it. Have you seen the gui for the software dialer (which is not needed to dial a number)? It acts just like any other application. When it (small window) pops up, it can be minimized or it disappears behind any other application window that you activate. It is not intrusive.

MJ doesn't. You can dial directly from your phone.

1. You don't need to dial through a "dialer". 2. The MJ gui minimizes. 3. You don't launch a browser to use MJ. 4. You are doing a lot of supposing which is not the same thing as fact. 5. If you have a reliable, stone-cold factual cite which confirms what you are speculating about please provide it. I'd love to see it.
--
Dave
On 8/18/2008 1:35 PM George spake thus:

So you're saying that this app (Magic Jack) is *intentionally* designed *not* to be able to run on an itty-bitty box? Not challenging you, just want to know.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I