Magic Jack and a power hub

Page 1 of 4

I sent my Magic Jack back because sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. As I have said, I really wanted it to work. Who would not want to give up a 35$/month phone bill for one that is 20$/year?
One thing I didn't try that I could have to improve the service was purchase a powered USB hub.
Another thing Magic Jack could do without actually improving the product would be to offer a rock solid voice mail system. If I had one part of Magic Jack that I knew I could count on, it might have persuaded me to keep it. I could put up with hit and miss on the outgoing calls, but unreliable incoming calls is unacceptable.
Return postage was less than 3 bucks, so test driving it was not really expensive. I just taped the RMA to the package and shipped it back.
I would like to hear from people that do have a powered hub that have tried MJ, or anyone that has reliable service.

I forgot to add, I learned this after I sent mine back.
You can call 909-390-0003 with your MJ and it will repeat everything you say back to you. It would have been handy to be able to use without having to use my friends for test calls.
metspitzer wrote:

What is your pc speed and memory? USB 2.0? What speed broadband? O/S? What else do you have plugged into USB that drains 5 volt power?
After a month of MJ use, I cancelled Mudder Bell and good riddance. Have a prepaid cellphone, for 'just in case'. I run a panasonic cordless (ac powered base) off the MJ which is plugged directly into an Intel MB. 6/2 Mb cable broadband gives great voice quality.
If you really want feedback go to the MagicJack forum on http://dslreports.com

1GHz Athlon - 512K - USB 2.0 - 5M/512k Windoze XP. No other USB devices. No virus software, or anything else running. I gave it exclusive use of my spare computer for 2 weeks.
AT&T 5Ghz cordless with extra handset.
I also got great quality, sometimes. It was the other times I gave up on.

You didn't say if you used a powered usb hub.
metspitzer wrote:

cpu speed is close to the minimum suggested, did you monitor cpu % utilization? Did you try the MJ on another box, preferably at a different broadband connection?

see above: ". . MJ which is plugged directly into an Intel MB."

Yeah, I used Fast Defrag. It reported anywhere from 5 to 15% with nothing loaded. I tried it on the only computer that stays on 24/7.
The fact that some calls were crystal clear and some were crap, pretty much convinced me it was not my computer. Outgoing calls were more reliable than incoming.
The DSL reports forum with hit and miss results confirmed my suspicions. I think there are too many sock puppets at the DSL reports site to be unbiased. I also get too many people trying to steer me there.
It is not there yet. I really, really wish it were. A powered hub would have been a small cost to try, but I didn't. I really have no other need for a powered hub. Maybe others will, and report positive results.
Maybe with rock solid voice mail it might be a keeper.
metspitzer wrote:

Your computer seems more than adequate and if your USB ports are lightly loaded, I doubt if a powered hub would help much.
Contributing factors may be your ISP and where you're accessing MJ servers. I may be fortunate to be on a hookup with minimal delays and sustained good transfer rates. Speed tests are poor barometers for voip performance, since they're typically an average rate for big transfers.
Since MJ is apparently growing rapidly, they will be constantly tuning their networks and load balancing. Have you asked if others on your ISP and in your area are using MJ and what results they got?
Good luck, Leroy

what is THE MAGIC JACK ? a car jack ?
metspitzer wrote:

Seems to be the usual thing you run into with this sort of thing. People get all excited about cheap and won't admit there are flaws mixed in with the sock puppets equals useless.

I didn't bother for a couple reasons. It uses an advertising driven model which has never proven to be successful. Can you think of one of the "free" or really cheap ad driven ISPs that are still around?
Second reason is I can't see leaving a computer on continuously just to use the phone.
A powered hub

On 8/14/2008 3:47 PM George spake thus:

I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good use for a tiny, stand-alone PC in a little box, no keyboard or monitor, say a 4-line LCD display and a few buttons. Someone could build something like this on a single board using ASICs for next to nothing, to power stuff like this that requires an always-on computer.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

They already make dedicated, inexpensive, low power usage adapters for VoIP called ATAs (Analog Telephone Adapters).
Magicjack requires a power wasting computer because it is ad driven. The way it is supposed to work is that they display ads on your computer which are supposed to pay for the service.
George wrote:

???. In over 5 months of use I've never seen an ad
--
Dave

No ads here, either.
On 8/14/2008 9:31 PM Marina spake thus:

Did you pay for the service? Maybe the pop-up ads are only if you try it for free (like Skype and nonoh.net)?
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, the ads have not started yet, but the TOS indicates that they can serve ads. I suspect the ads will be served into an area on the left hand side of the MJ GUI. This GUI is not large at all and only pops up from the taskbar when the phone rings or when you get a dialtone from an attached phone. (This is when you have MJ set to use a phone rather than a headset). When MJ is set to use a headset, the gui pops up upon an incoming call or by clicking MJ in the taskbar to place an outgoing call. If the gui is open, it can be minized to the taskbar at any time.
I run my widesceen monitor in 1280 x 768 and the gui, when set to small size, occupies about 1/9 of the desktop area. Not obtrusive at all, and the popup upon ring is handy, it lets you see the number of the calling party. The name of the caller is shown, too, if you've put that name/number into the MJ contacts.
I've only seen two 'ads' if you want to call them that and they're simply information for the MJ user. Looks like the 'ad feed' is in place, but true ads have not begun.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I don't think you know how MJ actually works. I bought the usb unit, paid the 20.00 yearly fee. As far as I know there are no 'free' trials.... there is a return of purchase if not satisfied. I'm happy as a clam with the MJ so I've never returned mine.
--
Dave
Dave Bugg wrote:

Maybe they haven't sold any yet or since they are in the burn up the investors money stage maybe they are waiting to start sending them. The reason that you need a power wasting computer instead of a flea power ATA to make and receive calls is because their business model is to have an ad driven service.
As I said before can you remember any of the free or cheap ISPs that had an ad driven model?
George wrote:

MJ is not an ISP. And as I said before, many companies offer services that are funded by ads including radio, tv, google, yahoo, and tens of thousands of websites. Just what is your point? Do you think MJ is destined to fail, is illegal, immoral, or fattening because it plans to supplement income with ads? Just what is your objection, if any?
Leroy

Did any of you try to use a FAX with Magic Jack? I use the FAX a lot but very few long distance calls....I saw it advertised on TV and looked interesting. The FAQ section had "maybe it will work and maybe it won't" sort of response.
Dottie wrote:

That's also the feedback at the MagicJack forums, it works for some and not for others. Only way to find out is to try it with your broadband connection and your FAX. Do the thirty day free trial and return it if not satisfied.
You can get a rough idea if your PC and connection is up to snuff for VOIP at this place, Java required for test, no registration needed:
http://www.testyourvoip.com /