Magic Jack........again

Cordless/cell phones for home use are a solution in search of a problem. I'll never give up my copper local loop. I don't wander around when I talk. Real WE corded phones are getting hard to find, but I have enough to last as long as I will. And they will always work, even if the power is out for a week, the cell towers blow down, and the roof caves in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

There is a device that allows that now. Not from MajicJack but it works with the magic jack or a land-line and works with the cell-phone. A friend had tried one out - not sure if he kept it, or liked it long-term, but he was pretty excited when he got it on trial.

Reply to
clare

As long as the wires are not down.

In some areas the phones go down often, and sometimes for days on end, due to ice storms. Then a cell phone is definitely handy.

I don't like having all my communications tied to one supplier, or one technology.

I have my phone on copper from Bell Canada, and my internet on cable from Rogers, along with my cell phone from Rogers. They want my home phone business (on the cable), but I've told them numerous times- "NEVER". Bell wants my internet business and they get the same answer.

Around here, anyway, the cable internet from Rogers is VERY dependable, while ADSL from Bell is spotty. Bell's phone service is virtually solid - while Rogers Home Phone has the VOIP type echo on occaision.

And Rogers is the only major carrier in our area with GSM cell coverage. - so Bell won't get that business from me either.

I have a MajicJack that I picked up figuring on using it for American long distance calls - but then Rogers gave me a long distance plan I couldn't turn down on my land-line. 5 cents a minute anywhere in North America to a maximum of 5 bucks a month - and no minimum.

I've likely used the MJ about 10 times. It worked OK, but not superfantastic. Thought I'd send it with my daughter if she went overseas again so we could call her at an american phone number anywhere she had high speed internet, and she could call anywhere in Canada or the USA toll free from Kigali or Livingstone or where-ever.

She's still home.

Reply to
clare

May not work if he runs around the house nekid. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Metspitzer wrote:

OK guys, I was an early adopter of Magicjack which I obtained for one reason, "privacy". I give the Magicjack number to anyone I feel who may divulge my phone number to second parties. The Magicjack quit working but it doesn't matter, the voice mail comes to my Email as a WAV file and for $20.00 a year it can't be beat. If the message is from someone I need to talk to, I can call them back. The Email shows the time, date and number from which the call came. I give the MJ number to hospitals, insurance companies and especially government agencies that demand a phone number. I spent some time in the hospital last year and I knew darn well that the quota hire morons would screw up the billing some how or another. My MJ number was given to one of the worst and nastiest collection agencies in the country which has an automated system that was calling me several times every day. It's very entertaining to listen to the dire threats from their agents. I am never bothered by a ringing phone at all hours of the day and night and the 15 bills that arrive from the collection agency every day make for some pretty good insulation or kindling. I would recommend the MJ for the reason I have it to anyone who wants to avoid telemarketers who get your phone number from companies that demand a phone number for things like warranty registration, surveys and such. For VOIP, I've been using ViaTalk and it works quite well for me on a 10mb cable Internet service. The VOIP adapter does not require a computer for it to function.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Same here. I got a MagicJack as my back up to my main VoIP service at Onesuite ->

For $20 a year, you don't expect MJ to give you flawless service. Heck even those $20/month VoIP service like from Vonage has tons of problems too. The main point here is option. If you run into problems with your main phone service then you have something to use for making calls.

Reply to
Zee

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

snipped

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Reply to
LouB

:

Not right off, I found out about it on this newsgroup. I was going to get one but never did.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

te:

Its called a cellphone docking station. google will get you there.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The article is somewhat dated, but should give you a start:

Robert Neville

Thanks. That story led me to:

LouB

Here's one that uses Bluetooth and allows up to 3 cell phones:

Mark Lloyd

LouB