Magic Jack

Page 2 of 2
Marina wrote:

Your area code IS there (I'll wager). You just can't GET some area codes because all the numbers within that area code are taken or already allocated. For example, 212 (Manhattan) is completely full. The same area is covered by area codes 646 and 917. Likewise for Los Angeles (213) is now also 310 and 818.
Think proliferation of cell phones (and computers and fax machines) for the reason.
Except one of the two MJ's I have *does* have a 212 area code, as chosen by me, 3 weeks ago when I got it.
The other has a 919 area code, again chosen by me. The 919 was NOT available when I got the first MJ.

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:13:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you bought 2 then that says a little for the product. I may give it a try.
Do you know if you can get Atlanta? 770/404/678 and a few more
The biggest tip I have read time and time again is disable the firewall before installing.

Here is the area code link:
http://www.magicjack.com/1/areacodes.asp
metspitzer wrote:

It only works with Windoz.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

I've been using USADATANET for years.
No monthly fees, contracts, surcharge fees, or minimums. If you don't use it you don't get a bill for anything.
There are 5 regions like northeast, southern, etc.
Call anyone at any number in your region and it's .10/min but it caps at .99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even hours, is .99.
Call anyone at any number out of your region and it's .10/min but it caps at 1.99 meaning the most expensive call for ANY length of time, yes even hours, is 1.99.
When you register it's registered to your home phone. When you want to call long distance you dial a 7 digit local access number. Enter area code and number and it connects.
I notice no call quality difference.
If it suits your needs and interested:     http://www.usadatanet.com/longDistance.html
I guess I don't know much about the "business model" used by the VOIP companies.
For example, Google provides its services for free in the hope that we will glance it the paid ads. It hopes that the Gmail users will use web mail a lot and thus view the ads rather than accessing it via a mail server (which I do.)
If a company offers very low cost VOIP calls it still has the cost of connecting to the conventional "wired" telephone network. Is this cost trivial?say the thing

I have seen no extra cost other than around $7 for shipping.
John Gilmer wrote:

Most of the low cost voip services use "DID", where they buy(rent) blocks of numbers in groups of 10, 100, or 1000 in different area codes. These cost about 50 cents a month for each number. They use a "soft switch" or "virtual (phone)office" that provides internet connections to your computer "softphone".
If you call a number from their line to another number that is also their line, they handle the call "end-to-end" for very very low cost. If the call is to a line at another company, they share the cost, if it's to a traditional (ilec) company they pay thru the nose to complete the call.
Caller id is delivered like cellphone calls, number only, few are willing to pay the "per dip" charge to get the matching name from the database, run by the ilecs.
They use the "number portability" system to allow you to use your previous number with your new number. It's all a big call forwarding scheme.
-- larry/dallas

I am not sure what all that means but my caller ID with Vonage VOIP shows number and name every time unless it is a cell phone call when it displays "MA Wireless" for calls from Massachusetts to where I live in New Hampshire. Some phones I have show different ID configuration indicating it has more to do with the individual phone itself rather than any particular service.