Magic Jack

Page 1 of 2
This thing sounds great. Sounds too good to be true. I have been watching for reviews. The ones I have found say the thing is crap. No customer service at all.
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf31071682.tip.html

LOL
I just posted about this device a few second ago. I find it excellent. It is so simple there is no TS needed if you follow the instructions. I emailed them Sunday about how it would appear on my debit card and I got a response in minutes.
Great little device as far as I can tell.
John J.
metspitzer wrote:

I have had it for about 4 months now and it works just fine. I had an install question and a customer service rep took care of the concern quickly.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

It's not available in my zip code yet, but two nearby cities have it. So I should sign up and choose one of the other cities? Then I can call anywhere? It's just that anyone locally calling the Magic Jack phone number will incur LD charges?
I want to use it in my boss's small office. She uses her Blackberry, but I have to use my cell to call clients and I don't want to use my cell for that, because then they see my # on the ID and clients call me!
That's how I understand it anyway. I'm interested in buying one and it looked too good to be true.
Your comments are a huge help. Marina
Marina wrote:

You mean area code, not zip code, right? That's what I did.

Yes.
Yes and no. If they have a magicjack, no.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

oK, that's great, thanks for info. Yeah I meant area code. Marina
Not sure I understand why "it's not available in my zip code yet".
The thing absolutely does not care where it is physically sitting, nor what the telephone number / area code "tied" to it is. You order it from whereever in the US/Canada/World you happen to be connected to the Internet from. You have it shipped to whereever in the US/Canada (probably won't ship to overseas) you want IT to be plugged into a computer that's connected to the internet. Someone at THAT computer configures it (it's totally self explanatory) and decides what (virtual) State, (real) Area Code for that state, and (real) phone number for that Area Code is going to be its number.
Outgoing calls are free for as many years you bought at $20/year. Incoming calls are free for *you*, charged at whatever rate the caller pays for calls to that area code. As more and more people are using either VOIP (Voice Over IP) or cellular with unlimited nites/weekends and/or extremely large numbers of minutes, there's *probably* no additiona charges to them beyond their base fees.
I have two of them; one lives in Japan and "thinks" it's in NYC. The other lives in multiple places and thinks it's in NC.
Customer service is via live chat on their website, great support.
PZ

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I use Vonage for around $18 per month. That is the price if you make 500 minutes of calls. The same nation wide coverage with voice mail, caller ID,Call waiting and email notification. MJ is limited to certain area codes. It is worth it if you convince your callers to get one. I don't think anyone is fighting to keep it out. There are blocks of numbers that are bought up by many phone companies. The area codes needed by some just might not be free right away. I like having an out of state number so the MIL can call for free and yak as long as she wants. I might get more for other out of state callers but most have cells that can make unlimited calls anyway. I remember paying several hundred for the teens years ago so I am very happy these days. To bad cable TV doesn't go the same route.

I was thinking of Vonage before I saw MJ. I don't like talking on the phone. Rarely use it at home, so thought MJ would be the way to go. I wanna see if it's at least good for outgoing calls, so I can convince my boss to get a MJ so I don't have to use my cell for work calls. She reimburses me, but then sometimes clients call me directly on my cell. My cell is low fee prepaid, so I don't want to use it much. I'm hoping MJ is the answer. Marina

I have been trying MJ as a second line with Vonage which I have had for a few years. Both seem to be the same quality. Vonage ask a fee to disconnect so I am in no hurry to switch them off. The bottom line in expense is you need to leave a computer on for MJ to work. This would add to your electric bill but I am not sure how much that would actually be. You could turn off your monitor and configure power settings to hibernate to conserve. I have been thinking of a computer that would be low consumption like a new Ultra-Mobile or handheld of some sort. I also use prepaid Tracfone for which I pay $100 per year for more minutes then I ever use. I am trying to abandon the phone completely in favor of email. I don't see why MJ would not meet all your needs at such an unbelievable price. If you have broadband access at work then you are all set.

Doesn't Vonage charge a monthly fee, where as MJ charges a yearly fee? I'm temped to try it at $20 a year versus $370 a year. That worth a tank of gas. Lou

Yes. Vonage gets about 18.00 per month while MJ gets 20.00 per year. I paid $40.00 for device and 1 year of service. I will eventually drop Vonage completely.
John Jones wrote:

sustainable business model so as soon as they burn through the investor money they will either have to turn the lights out or charge what other services charge.
George wrote:

Please provide the cite for that.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Dave Bugg wrote:

in. Anyone who knows the workings of VoIP knows what the overhead is and that they don't have a sustainable business model. BTW, there is nothing technologically magical about magicjack. They require you to use that silly energy wasting key which means you need to keep a computer running all of the time. Behind the scenes they are just slightly different than standard SIP.
George wrote:

As I thought.

Yes, I do.

The overhead is what the business makes it.; from the little I've read, this company has chosen to ratio its overhead to the customer base... to grow only as it needs to. I've seen no evidence -- huge national prime time TV ads as an example -- to contradict this. They had a soft launch with no big "grand-opening" kick-off, which is a real key to fine-tuning how well a business responds to customer growth.

Exactly WHY the company is probably going to remain healthy. The technology is simple and straight-forward and cheap.

I don't know what you mean by "key".

For $20.00 per year vs Vonage at $26.00 per month, that's no big deal. Besides, I don't HAVE to keep the computer on all the time if I don't need to use the landline..... and I don't. As with a large number of the population, I have a cell phone that I can use if I simply must make a call between 11pm and 7am. Prior to magicjack, I would turn off the landline at night anyway.

How so?
I remember similar criticisms leveled at Amazon regarding the sustainability of its business model; I disagreed then with the naysayers then, too.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

If you wanna hear the phone ring you do. I don't care if I ever hear the ring. I just wanna call out. Don't care about anyone calling in. My friends can call my cell.

Google MJ shows 1,350,000 results. Here is a poll.
http://dontgetjacked.com/11201.html?action=result
John Jones wrote:

is still running and they get to make cheap calls. I didn't claim anything different.