Mag Light Battery Corrosion (off topic)

I recently had a battery corrode in my black 4D cell Mag light. Old style bulb, if that's relevant.
The 4D mag light by my front door was dead. I managed to get the tail cap off (two big pipe wrenches) and find the bottom battery had corroded. Brand new battery, Endurance, from Advance Auto Parts. After considerable scrubbing and sanding, the light works again. I'm leaving it in peices over night to dry. Then load up with four Rayovac cells, and a shot of grease on the tail cap threads.
The 4D mag is my "grab and go" light, in case I need to go some where in a hurry.
It was only happy coincidence that I found the corroded battery. Might have been there for years, if I'd not needed the light for a bulb test.
Since that time, others have told me that batteries corrode only in D cell mags, and typically the battery next to the tail cap. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a common problem?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yep, killed my 3D graveyard dead. I only wish I'd caught it in time, now the switch is gone.
Add pictures here
✖

I think all major brand batteries have a "if it leaks we fix or replace policy" I got free mini mag from energiser after mine leaked.
Add pictures here
✖

I've had several (like 5 or 6) 3D MagLites destroyed by Duracells.....I pounded the batteries out or sawed the body up to identify the batteries. Duracell used to have a deal with MagLite...
return the flashlight to Mag & get a new one and coupon for batteries. Don't know if this is still the situation.
I did a "shoot off" between Duracell and Engerizers. Same model flashlight stored in the same vehicle at the same time.
Durcells died, leaked and corroded their flashlight. Energizers did not.
No longer a Duracell fan, I even informed Duracell of my results when I invoked the warranty. I told them they had a potential problem with some sort of strange interaction between Duracells and Maglites.
I think it might be the interior of the flashlight barrel is too close to the Duracell battery outside diameter.
They blew me off with a form letter and a coupon.
Now I only use Energizers and haven't had any MagLites destroyed in the last 7 years.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Now, that is priceless. Field report from someone who has the experience. Thank you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I, personally, have NEVER had any luck with ROV...I stick with Duracell in Mags.
Add pictures here
✖
What are your experiences with ROV? I've heard some people like Duracell, others like Energizer. I'm curious what has happened with your lights, batteries, etc.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You truly have some rotten luck with batteries.
Add pictures here
✖

Could it be some sort of electrolytic corrosion between say, steel coated battery cell and the Aluminum alloy flashlight casing? Some form of dampness? Seems odd though cos they are so well sealed. Must check our 3 D cell Maglight; it too is stood up vertically by the front door! And may well have Duracell batteries in it. Thanks for the tip.
Add pictures here
✖
I've been wondering. The battery ends are steel, and the tail cap spring is steel. Might be. Please write back, and tell us how things went, for you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I may be wrong but the Endurance battery is a heavy duty battery. Not alkaline. That would account for the leakage more than anything else.
Add pictures here
✖
The ones I have say akaline, and the weight of the battery is consistent. It is very possible they do make carbon zinc cells with the same name.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus