Made in the USA: MagLite

Page 1 of 2
MagLite flashlights continue to be made in the USA even though the owner knows that he could make more money by manufacturing overseas.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId 0197557
We need more companies like this.
Perce

What? A product that consistently fails?
nb

MagLites are decent flashlight but they are by no means in the same class as SureFire.
When I bought my dad a MagLite in the 70's it was clearly one of the best flashlights on the market. I have his flashlight now.....still working fine & approaching 40 years old.
For a reasonably priced, mass market unit they are pretty good.
The only failure mode I have experienced with MagLites is DuraCell batteries leaking in them but not Energizers.
What failure mode(s) have you seen?
cheers Bob
On 09/29/2010 11:40 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

Haven't seen any failures, but I have to say that the Mag-Lite needs some updating. It was great back when all flashlights were incandescent, but the LED models have awful beam patterns, and a Task Force 2-C cell LED flashlight kicks a big Mag-Lite's butt in every respect save for use as a nightstick, and is *almost* small enough to fit in a pocket (but comes with a handy belt pouch.) Also addresses someone else's concern about rolling off a flat surface. I haven't tried any of the "tactical" flashlights but I would hope that they are even better yet.
NB: the last Mag-Lite I bought was maybe 10 years ago. Maybe they've improved since then, but they're still big and heavy.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 09/29/2010 07:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Forgot to add - in the Mag's defense, it is a much more quality-made product. the TF's barrel is slightly too big, so batteries rattle unless you make a little cardboard shim, and waterproofing it requires some creativity and rubber on the (end cap) switch and silicone grease on the O-rings. The Mag is obviously more precisely made, and is waterproof out of the box. Neither the batteries nor the switch rattle annoyingly.
However, if I have a job to do, I grab the TF. It's just more convenient, and works better for the intended purpose of illuminating a dark area. (I like 'em so much, esp. in the bang for the buck department, that I have one in the glovebox of each of my cars, and another for use as an occasional bicycle headlight. Yes, it's that bright - comparable to the 'spensive German dynohub headlight on my touring bike in brightness, although the beam pattern isn't as optimal. However, if it's going to be pitch black and I still want to ride, both used together are quite awesome. Couldn't use a Mag for that purpose - the beam pattern is awful, it's not as bright, and it weighs a freakin' ton.)
If only Mag would copy the TF's LED and introduce a new light in between the 2D and 2AA models, say, about the size of the TF, and then machine in some flats so it wouldn't roll, they'd be right back on top of the consumer-market flashlight heap again.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
The Mag LED in D cell, with the factory installed bulb. I really like them. The bulb sold separately has the blue tint to it. I wish they would make C cell mag with LED bulbs. I'd like that. I built one from pieces. Bright enough to light up a tree a couple doors down the road from me. But, blue tint.
Where did you get your Task Force? Lowe's, was it?
I took a Mag light into the swimming pool when I was a teen. Every time I pushed the button, a bubble came out from the switch button. The next day the swtich died. I sent it back. They wrote back to send two dollars postage, they would return my light with a new switch. I did, they did. Their reminder note is the light is water resistant, not water proof. Might have been OK to turn the light on, play with it under water, but not turn it on or off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I just bought a 3D model Mag at Costco with a single high powered LED and it has a great beam pattern and is blazingly bright - brightest flashlight I've ever seen. I can easily illuminate stuff a couple blocks away at night.
and a Task

Does that explain the aircraft landing on your street?
When I bought a 3D LED mag, I tried it and my Garrity 3D light, in the Lowe's parking lot. Used the same batteries, tried one light and then put the batteries in the other light. I thought my Garrity was broken, it was 1/4 or 1/3 of the light of the LED Mag. It focusses, and shines light an amazing distance.
"Black Friday" and the lights were half price.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When I put my old halogen 3D maglite next to the LED one the halogen one looks like a sick yellow candle by comparison. That's the other thing about the LED, it's a really "white" light, as in blueish white color temp.
"DD_BobK" wrote notbob wrote:

Within their class, they are the preferred unit for belt lights by sailors on ships. They are light weight, throw alot of light for their size, last longer than most other types with a brighter beam (so you don't suddenly go dead and get stranded in the dark, you get plenty of warning as it gets dimmer), waterproof which is critical when standing topside out in the rain. They also come normally with at least 3 color lenses you overlay, one of which is required to maintain night vision on the bridge, in CIC, and other places like flight deck control or just topside in general at night.
Thse are the small ones about size of your hand. They also have an accessory kit with a rubberized portion that will keep it from rolling on a flat surface (several types of that). They have a little spot to hook to an extensable lanyard so if walking in the dark, you can turn it on and just let it hang and light your foot area while your hands are encumbered.
Failures to date: I've had to replace th bulb after a few years in some of them. Usually after dropping one down several decks worth of ladders. Once broke the glass face bit doing that too (that one still lit but was bent and no longer waterproof so was replaced).

No, we don't.
Companies keeping jobs in the USA "just because" is every bit as much of a false economy as all the government bailouts.
It's a feel-good warm-fuzzy for idiots who don't understand economics. It does nothing to solve the problem, and only exacerbates it further by slowing our descent to rock-bottom.
The solution to the problem is to make it less costly to produce the products in the USA than China.
There are only two ways to do that:
1. Make the American people willing to work hard for less money and no benefits. 2. Make the Chinese people UNwilling to work hard for less money and no benefits.
I don't see #1 happening any time soon. #2 is easy. Just keep buying Chinese and sending our jobs over there. Once they get a taste of the good life they'll want more and more and more. Costs will go up, and soon it'll be more profitable to make stuff in the USA again.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Made-in-the-USA-MagLite-541797-.htm DA wrote:

I don't think in this case it's "just because". It is very much a part of their marketing efforts. Their aren't doing it alone either - watch the new Jeep commercials. In any case, if you take away "Made in USA", what else is there to base your marketing on? An antiquated-looking product that was the last (AFAIK) among brand name flashlights to adopt LED technology? Besides, its (antiquated as it is) look is also a part of the brand and it is very much based on the production machinery that must be 30+ years old now, has been paid off many times over, very expensive to move anywhere, let alone China, and will probably not survive the move anyways. Oh, and of course will be very loudly laughed at by Chinese engineers when they see the controllers and other parts from 1979.
Also, re-creating the production line from scratch in China is not feasible for a company that "[in 2009]lost nearly $11 million" and "had to lay off 200 people" (out of 700). Sad as it is, they are just stuck in here, may even be against their will.
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Harley bikes are almost 30% imported parts. Just under the limit where they couldn't call it made in USA. The front forks, I think are made by Kawasaki.
On 09/29/10 11:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Let's assume that you are correct about the effect of solution #2 *in the long run*. What do we do with the former MagLite workers during the intervening years -- not months but *years*?
Perce

What do "we" do? I kind of think that attitude is part of the problem. The question should be, what do the mag light workers do? I think the answer is, that that's a decision they must make for themselves. This economy sucks, and I know my solution has been to do more work for less money. Everyone likes a good deal, and until such a time that things get better, my customer's are getting great deals, and I'm working, and paying the bills.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:48:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

That says nothing of the economic benefits of China's lax labor and enviromental laws. Over there you can just dump your waste products in the river and replace any worker who gets hurt on the job at zero cost.
I see tariffs as the only solution, but I don't see a solution for china imposing retalitory tariffs.

True, but how long do you think the Chinese people will stand for that?
Certainly, not as long as the American people did. Information simply moves too quickly in this day and age.

Doesn't China already tariff the hell out of everything they buy from us?
I've never understood why we let other countries put heavy tariffs on our exports, while our import tariffs are little more than lip service.

Don't worry. USA will continue to make their own weapons! :)
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

What we need is a company with enough sense to make a flashlight that doesn't roll. A square or hex base would do it.
--

dadiOH

I have one of these. It has a hex base and doesn't roll.
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-beam-3d-2aa-flashlights-3851.html
Gordon brand. Made in China. Sold at Harbor Freight.
Seems every bit as well made as my genuine 6D MagLite. I wouldn't hesitate to crack some skulls with the Gordon.