LV post light - how to make this right?

@ GF's place... renter just moved out... post light has never worked.
After his stuff was all moved out I went into his room to tighten some stuf f up and found this... 24VAC transformer screwed to wall, with some UF runn ing out to the post light. 2x 12V bulbs in the post light through a photoce ll, apparently in series. Plug the transformer in, it works fine.
How do I make this mess "right?" I don't like the exposed transformer espec ially with the cord and plug, is that even legal?
I suspect that this actually is original to the house/development as all ho uses on the street have similar looking post lights, but seriously, WTF? an y ideas greatly appreciated.
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/thatguyN8/IMG_20141020_094012_037_ zpspyxnuirl.jpg

I don't see anything illegal about it as long as the 120 VAC connection to the transformer is safe. I can't tell from the picture. It is certainly not pretty and I can see why you don't want it there. Is there another place to mount the transformer? A basement under that room for example? Or maybe a low voltage outdoor transformer and change the bulbs to the appropriate voltage.
Pat
What have the neighbors done??? That would be a starting point for me.
N8N wrote:

You can install solar powered LED light with day/night sensor. In our city all street lighting will be that way soon.

nning out to the post light. 2x 12V bulbs in the post light through a photo cell, apparently in series. Plug the transformer in, it works fine.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

*I never encountered this situation. Assuming that the post light was orig inally installed for low voltage use, a good landscape lighting transformer should suffice and be safe. Get one with multiple taps to compensate for voltage drop. It would have to be surface mounted and in your case I have no idea where to put it without more information and photos.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
That is truly awful.
Is there any better place to penetrate the wall and put the feed wire through? It really isn't that hard to drill a wall. The cable guys do it all the time.
If not, sigh, maybe mount the transformer up at the ceiling interface and hide the wires in surface mount raceway. At least it would look like a pro had been consulted.
I'm not crazy about a plug connection, either. Aren't these supposed to be hardwired?