lux thermostat malfunction - house overheats

I have a LUX thermostat (model 1000?) in my vacation home. It ran for days causing the temperature in the house to exceed 95 degrees. (It melted crayons in the house!)
If we hadn't caught the problem in time our house might have burned down.
We aren't sure how many days this problem existed, but I do have a $1,300 gas bill to pay. (This incident occurred in the middle of winter, in the mountains.)
The other damage was mostly to the wood in the house: floor boards shrank; cabinet door panels shrank; veneer came off the cabinet face; wine bottles popped and other interesting damage occurred in the house.
LUX sent a new thermostat and requested we return the old one so they could test it.
I'm reluctant to return it in case something 'happens' to it.
Anyone else have a similar experience? (Hopefully not as severe as mine, since you were probably at home when it happened.)
regards, madel

Lux is not a top brand although I own 2 of them, if it were me I would put in a honywell and call my insurance co and do what they say, I believe you are covered and they would want the stat as they could collect from lux.
bill stout had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-lux-thermostat-malfunction-house-overheats-309541-.htm : Last night Jan 28, 2009, my lux 1000 also decided to over heat while I was out. When I returned a couple of hurs later the house was at about 85 degrees. I was able to remove the unit and cancel the heat. I have had this unit for about 10 years with no problem.
------------------------------------- ransley wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 337595 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
sweetpea had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/lux-thermostat-malfunction-house-overheats-309538-.htm :
madel wrote:

My LUX 1000 also malfunctioned the same way a few days ago. The heat turned on and just kept running. It's 92 degrees here and I certainly didn't need more heat. I don't know how long it was running until I caught it. I had difficulty getting the unit to respond in any way. It would not turn off. It finally responded after flipping the off button numerous times, then the whole unit just shut down. New batteries did nothing to help. Nor did resetting it. I need a new thermostat but want to be sure I get one with a failsafe so nothing like this will occur again. I am thankful it did NOT happen while I was on vacation!
sweetpea wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/lux-thermostat-malfunction-house-overheats-309538-.htm
What do you expect from El Cheapo stuff? Buy a Honeywell Vision Pro and be happy. There is a limit switch in the furnace or heat pump which will shut down when temp. goes up too high(safety feature)
A couple friends of mine had a similar problem. They had replaced the thermostat four times. I arrived, on other matters. I did some investigation, and find out that the furnace had a bad relay, which I replaced.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus