Lutron Dimmer Burned Out?

Hi,
I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working. The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there special dimmers for CFL's?
TIA, Dan

I have several in my current house and had a bunch in my last house - Two possibilities:
1) You bumped the little "off" switch on it.
2) You broke the "tap bar" which is a little internal plastic part that the dimmer needs to function.
I'd bet on (1)
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

It is not the OFF switch. And the Tap bar has always worked. The LED does not light up so I think a circuit blew?
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:40:09 -0500, Dan wrote:

There are different dimmers for reactive/non-reactive/non-inductive loads. Dimmers designed for incandescent lighting don't work well with CFLs.

Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)

Re: Lutron Dimmer Burned Out? Group: alt.home.repair Date: Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 1:49am From: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (mm) Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)
LMAO..My sentitments exactly..
Dan wrote:
... Are there

... No, there are not special dimmers for CFL's, but there are special CFL's for dimmers. Most CFL's are not designed to work with dimmers.
On 6/21/07 4:58 PM, M Q wrote:

The CFL's are marked dimmer lights but it says they may not with all dimmer switches. What dimmer switch should I buy? I thought Lutron mentioned on their website that they made special dimmer switches for cfl's, but can't find it now.
Dan
You can write to Lutron and ask them to replace the switch (though I suppose they'll ask you to promise not to try it on CFLs again). They're pretty good about doing that.
Mailing Address: Customer Service Lutron Electronics Company Co., Inc. 7200 Suter Road Coopersburg, PA 18036
Phone Number: 1-(888) LUTRON1
Fax Number: (610) 282-3090
E-Mail Address: E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@lutron.com

replying to Dan, Marty wrote: Hey Dan. I would gladly take any defective dimmers you have. Awaiting your reply .....
On Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:40:09 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:

I hope after 9 years he has things figured out..................