Lutron Dimmer Burned Out?

Hi,

I have Lutron MAW-600 dimmer I installed many years ago using incandescent lights in my kitchen light. I just switched to dimming compact fluorescent bulbs and the switch shortly after stopped working. The MAW-600 LED light does not light up so did I blow it? Are there special dimmers for CFL's?

TIA, Dan

Reply to
Dan

I have several in my current house and had a bunch in my last house - Two possibilities:

1) You bumped the little "off" switch on it.

2) You broke the "tap bar" which is a little internal plastic part that the dimmer needs to function.

I'd bet on (1)

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

There are different dimmers for reactive/non-reactive/non-inductive loads. Dimmers designed for incandescent lighting don't work well with CFLs.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)

Reply to
mm

It is not the OFF switch. And the Tap bar has always worked. The LED does not light up so I think a circuit blew?

Reply to
dan

... Are there

... No, there are not special dimmers for CFL's, but there are special CFL's for dimmers. Most CFL's are not designed to work with dimmers.

Reply to
M Q

Re: Lutron Dimmer Burned Out? Group: alt.home.repair Date: Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 1:49am From: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (mm) Did you try it again with a real lightbulb? (none of that hippie communist stuff)

LMAO..My sentitments exactly..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

The CFL's are marked dimmer lights but it says they may not with all dimmer switches. What dimmer switch should I buy? I thought Lutron mentioned on their website that they made special dimmer switches for cfl's, but can't find it now.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You can write to Lutron and ask them to replace the switch (though I suppose they'll ask you to promise not to try it on CFLs again). They're pretty good about doing that.

Mailing Address: Customer Service Lutron Electronics Company Co., Inc. 7200 Suter Road Coopersburg, PA 18036

Phone Number: 1-(888) LUTRON1

Fax Number: (610) 282-3090

E-Mail Address: E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@lutron.com

replying to Dan, Marty wrote: Hey Dan. I would gladly take any defective dimmers you have. Awaiting your reply .....

Reply to
Marty

I hope after 9 years he has things figured out..................

Reply to
hrhofmann

replying to Dan, Marty wrote: Dan: I am looking for burnt/fried Lutron Maestro-style dimmers for parts. I will pay the shipping. TIA

Reply to
Marty

For the cost of me shipping you a working one you can buy a new one locally. Repairing them would be a real crapshoot. And they DO make special dimmers which I believe work better for CFs etc. One triggers on the rising voltage, the other on the dropping voltage - so one ramps up and turns off hard, the other turns on hard and ramps down (sign wave). Google reverse phase control - designed for use with low voltage lighting with electronic transformers so likely better for electronic ballasted CFs as well.

Reply to
clare

replying to clare, Marty wrote: My Lutron Maestro dimmers are breaking mechanically. I want fried/burnt units for the mechanical parts.

Reply to
Marty

All I can say is "good luck" They aren't worth enough for it to make sense for me to try to fix one - and I don't throw away ANYTHING that makes ANY sense to fix.

Reply to
clare

This is a 9 year old post, hopefully he has replaced the dimmers by now.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@att.net posted for all of us...

He had one hooked up to his computer so it left him in the dark.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to mm, Pedro Silva wrote: Hippie? Way before my time, and I?m not communist, but do you know how stupid you sound? Do carry clubs for electrical tools???

Reply to
Pedro Silva

Do you know how stupid you sound, replying to a meaningless comment in a ten year old post and asking the poster questions as if he's waiting at his keyboard? HomeMoanersHub strikes again.

Reply to
trader_4