Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring

Page 1 of 3
Anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? They has a segment about the laminate flooring that Lumber Liquidators is having made at three plants in China. It can be made 10% to 15% cheaper if you put in excessive formaldehyde. It exceeds California limits as much as 20X.
The factories are putting the CARB 2 labels on but they say it is not compliant. The LL CEO, of course, said he did not know anything about it and will investigate.
| Anyone watch 60 Minutes tonight? They has a segment about the laminate | flooring that Lumber Liquidators is having made at three plants in | China. It can be made 10% to 15% cheaper if you put in excessive | formaldehyde. It exceeds California limits as much as 20X. |
I saw that. Very interesting. I had thought that formaldehyde was banned years ago. I know that I haven't seen urea/formaldehyde glue for sale for many years. So I was surprised that any use of formaldehyde was legal. It's a known carcinogen. That makes me wonder, now, about spray insulation. Spray foam was popular years ago. Then it turned out that if offgassed formaldehyde *and* turned to dust after a few years. Now a similar product is back in fashion for use in new construction. I wonder whether the new stuff is really any better than the old stuff.
Interesting side note: I've had trouble with toenail fungus on one foot. One treatment is to put urea solution on the nail until it falls off. I used to have a pint-size can of urea crystals from urea-formaldehyde glue that I'd bought years ago at the Woodworkers store. CVS wanted $80 for a tiny bottle of urea solution -- a common industrial and agricultural chemical! So I went looking for my can of urea, but apparently I threw it out years ago. By CVS standards that can would probably be worth over $20,000. :)
Mayayana wrote:

Toenail fungus? If you still have it, go to a local health food store, look for a nail solution made by Thursday Plantation of Australia. It is a formula based on Tea tree oil which works very well. Proven by pedicurists.
On 3/1/2015 10:39 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Now that you have read everything before doing anything, put your name on the top of this page and hand it in to the teacher.
On 3/1/2015 10:39 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Also appears to be the ingredient in Walgreens skin tag remover. I had one on my neck, the tag remover did the job, fell off in about two weeks. Much cheaper than whatever the $$dermatologi$t$$ would have charged.
| Toenail fungus? If you still have it, go to a local health food store, | look for a nail solution made by Thursday Plantation of Australia. | It is a formula based on Tea tree oil which works very well. Proven | by pedicurists.
Thanks, but my ladyfriend tried that for a number of months and had no luck. (We both have it on one foot, oddly.) I haven't found anything that *really* works.
On 03/02/2015 02:26 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Buy some Liquid Lumberdator flooring and walk on it with your bare feet?
On 3/1/2015 9:26 PM, Mayayana wrote:

Product called tea tree cream (the oil might work also) is supposed to help. Needs to be applied and then covered with a bandage each day until the infected nail grows out. Might take a few months.
My old podiatrist used to say hot water soak with some vinegar in the water. That helped loosen the dried skin. Not sure if it helped with fungus.
| My old podiatrist used to say hot water soak with | some vinegar in the water. That helped loosen the | dried skin. Not sure if it helped with fungus.
Interesting thought. I've wondered whether there might be a good home remedy. People must have had some options before there were anti-fungal creams.

Amputation. It is the only sure, permanent solution :)
I've been cursed with fungus (athlete's foot) since 1945, got it - guess where - gym class. I have fought it for decades, best I've ever gotten was sort of an armed truce.
The nail fungus came many years later. A decade or two back I tried a phatmaceutical house "sure cure". Needed a prescription, cost about $700, had to use it for six months, money back guarantee. It did indeed get rid of it. Unfortunately, it came back as soon as I stopped using the med. Got my money back.
I've often wondered why some people are so susceptible to it, others not. The only thing I can think of is body pH. Fungus abhors acidity which is why people wrap cheese in something with a few drops of vinegar to keep it mold free.
Obviously, my pH isn't acidic (probably) but I can't wear a base metal wristwatch, metal is eaten up in a few months. If I am highly basic, maybe that is why fungus loves me so?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Me too but a little later...maybe 1955.

Probably Griseofulvin. Works well but as you've discovered the Tinea returns. Actually it doesn't return. It's always there. I've consulted many dermatologists over the years and the synthesis of their remarks and treatment is that the fungus is all around us. I asked one if she wanted to put down some paper for me to walk on. Nope, pointless, she said. She actually ID'ed the type -- scraping and lab test (there are dozens of types or subtypes). No help. The same medication works on most of them but to a different degree and duration by joining with the skin or nail tissue and creating (for a while) resistant new skin. A few months later the tinea will return... unless you keep pounding it with the drug. One dermatologist wanted to remove my toenails. Didn't much like that idea.

Resistance is totally genetic. Either you have it (resistance) or you don't. Of my two (grown) sons one has it same as me: the other doesn't. My wife who shared the same bath mat and lots of other foot items also seems immune. However, both wife and the immune son suffer horribly from mosquito bites and both have huge problems with sunning themselves. Personally I prefer the Tinea.

As advised by a couple of the many dermatologists I've seen the best you can do is to control it with topical OTC creams, sprays, and lotions applied religiously daily. Also make sure you keep all affected parts dry.

I was a fortunate guy for a long time. I walked in bare feet on motel carpets (which my mother said was a bad thing to do. Athlete's foot?) and in gym locker rooms iirc. I never wore sandals in gym showers, and I never had athletes foot until I was over 50.
Even then it was only between two specific toes and never got bad. After a couple years it was 2 or 3 places on one foot, but never on the other foot, even if I rubbed the bad spots on the bad foot, and then used the same fingers to rub the same spots on the good foot.
But after 2 or 3 more years, it got to he other foot.
It got so bad I swiped my brother's mostly used bottle of Desenex and used that, which cured me for about 3 days. (one application. I always meant to put it on every day for a while to see if the cure would last longer. )
Finally the bottle ran out. and at the supermarket they had more than one product for this. And cheaper than Desenex. I didnt' want an aerosol can -- the last thing I want to do is breathe that stuff -- but that's what I got. I press the button as lightly as possible and hold my other hand around the spray, and it really doesn't reach my nose.
Voila, 10 days' cure from one application. Finally remembered to use it two days in a row, and it's been at least 30 days. Different active ingredient from Desenex. I suppose more than one kind of fungus causes athlete's foot, but it seems it can help to change what one uses. If anyone cares, let me know and I'll find out what is in this stuff and post it. I think it's the house brand for Maryland Giant supermarkets, so I couldn't find a webpage for it.
On 3/6/2015 2:14 AM, micky wrote:

It's a bit ot for home repair, but i'd expect at least one or two people will benefit. Please do post your findings.
On 3/6/2015 6:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The currently popular treatment is laser....heats the nail bed enough to kill the fungus and takes about 3 treatments. Don't know the data on effectiveness.
On 3/2/2015 10:04 AM, Mayayana wrote:

I'm guessing that there will be more and more cases where the old home remedy works fine, but the new highly expensive prescribed stuff does not. I'd like to know what the old remedies were, but that kind of information is being rapidly lost to mankind. I hope to be some small help, in that regard.

Back in the old days they used whiskey for almost everything.
I heard soaking foot in bleach water will kill it. I'm not sure how strong it needs to be. Maybe there is something on the web...
On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 20:56:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 20:56:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

In high school I tried to let my ingrown big toenails grow out, but all that happened was they got infected and hurt tremendously if I touched a front corner against anything.
The doctor had me soak my feet every night in a dishpan full of water and potassium permanganate. Turned my feet dark red, but never helped the infection. I read later that it never helps an infection, but some people though it did.
He also had me apply hydogen peroxide, and that didnt' help either. Later I read that despite what some people though H202 does not kill germs. It's useful for puncture wounds because it generates oxygen down in the puncture, which is good for it, but that's all it does.
The same GP diagnosed me with epilepsy when I didn't have it. I took pills for that too for 3. 4. maybe 5 months.
This is all in the early 1960's and he was about 60 years old. But he never charged us for some reason. I saw his ledger once, and he only charged about 2/3rds of the people he saw that day. And all I had to do was mention that my mother hadn't had her polio booster shot, and he nodded at his nurse, who got a vial out of the refigerator, filled a syringe, handed it to him, and within 90 seconds of my remark, she had her shot, no charge.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com posted for all of us...

Soak it incider
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*