Lumber from home depot OK for some things?

You obviously haven't done much building. If you take 'run of the bin' out of a big box or a lumberyard you _will_ discard at least some of it. I have 'picked' a freshly opened lift and rejected 25% of the studs...of course I was building interior walls so I wanted pretty straight stuff.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I agree totally...Both HD and the yards around here BOTH buy Canandian crap...Unless you pick it YOURSELF you ALWAYS have culls. I usually cut them up for cripples or use them where it doesn't matter. I ALWAYS pick the best ones out of the pile the yard delivers to the jobsite for critical areas like window , door openings , stairs,ect,. FIRST and set them aside under a tarp or lumber cover....I've seen lumber curl and twist in just a few days stored outside in the sun so keep that in mind as well.....

Reply to
benick

I once built a temporary ceiling support wall while I rebuilt the entire roof. 15' long studs on 16". Came back the next mornign and one of my nice, straight, hand picked studs had developed a complete

90 degree twist from bottom to top.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K