Lumber for covered patio

Hi,
After 12 years, we are finally getting around to building the patio cover/trellis. We live in Northern CA and we are looking to build a 6x6 post frame, with dual 4x6's bolter to form beams longitudinally, with 2x6 joist on top of that. Finally, 2x2's on top to provide shade.
While I would rather use redwood, cost is a factor, so I am looking for a recommendation on lumber that will be painted.
Also, I'll be using a Simpson anchor to hold the 6x6's on the already installed patio. Can I treat the lower end of the 6x6 if I will be painting?
Thanks to all.
I would suggest rough (resawn) Douglas Fir. Prime & paint prior to construction, touch up as needed afterwards. Just make sure whoever provides the timber that it is consist dimension. I recently built a patio cover & the resawn / rough DF 2x10's ran from 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 & the width were off by even more. We used the Simpson hanger for rough lumber but even then some had to be trimmed & some were loose.
What Simpson base did you use? I suggest one that give a substantial standoff from the concrete; like the EPB66.
Most of the Simpson post bases do not have enough standof (only 1") f to protect the post from water.
cheers Bob
<< I would suggest rough (resawn) Douglas Fir >>
Ditto what Bob said. We're doing a 13'x23' patio cover right now, in fact, and are using untreated Douglas fir.. summertime in south Texas, and it'll hold up.

You might consider cedar....In Northern CA you have a lot of termites and you can get the same termite resistance as redwood for a bit less....and it smells great too....The problem with doug fir is it is a favorite for termites...good luck on your project...Ross