Lucky me!

Page 1 of 2
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler will be? I have a slight concern.
I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

20% - thank goodness.

Yes, I know. I've had one for ~30 years. Actually, if it's only 105 or less it will work at a bit highers %s. At least for me - reasonable heat doesn't bother me that much/ I was raised in Chicago summers when the only A/Cs were in movie theaters.

We've been there for a week or two.
KenK wrote:

in my working days often taking whole family for a few months. I wokred for Honeywell(only career I had after mil. service), so used to go down there. Likewise it is cold and dry in winter up here, not too bad.
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ
here in Wis. it's presently 64
for me that's perfect

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...
On 06/18/2015 09:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

As to snow, I don't have to shovel it off my driveway, because I don't have one. My parking space directly abuts the alley.

That makes us even then. I don't have an alley.
On 06/19/2015 12:16 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

HA!!!!
philo wrote:

My old neighbor had some respiratory problem and on his doctor's suggestion he moved to PHX. There his symptom got worse and had to move back. I heard some pollen flying around in the desert was the problem.

It used to be the cure, until all the people moved in and started planting non-desert landscaping.
On 06/18/2015 09:29 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Yep!
On 06/18/2015 07:34 PM, philo wrote:

Sounds perfect to me too.
Here, we've had too much rain. Most of the time it's either raining or hot & sticky.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 06/19/2015 10:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Last year I had my wiring upgraded so that I could put in central air.
Now realize I will probably never add it since we rarely get more than a few exceedingly hot days a year...and the windows A/C can handle that.
Most years the A/C never even gets put in.

Same here. I haven't used mine in two or three years that I can remember. Gets exciting when I need it - wondering if it will still work!
On 06/19/2015 12:25 PM, KenK wrote:

Mine is under 20 years old and I maybe put it in the window every five years or so.
I had one that was 40+ years old, that I put out for the metal scavengers...It was one heavy SOB
the newer one is quite a bit lighter

I'm surprized the Freon hasn't leaked out by now.
Mine stays in the window the year around. I just don't turn it on some summers. Too heavy for me to install and uninstall it even if I wanted to.

On 06/20/2015 12:51 PM, KenK wrote:

It was still working but just did not need it

In my experience when the humidity is low swamp coolers give up to a 30 degree drop. My AC neighbors keep their thermostat near 80 to save on the bill. At 105 my swam cooler can give me 75.

I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit. When the humidity is up I use the AC. Otherwise the swamp cooler keeps the house cool and a quarter of the cost.

On 06/19/2015 03:19 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Don't those contribute to the global humidification crisis?
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:20:37 +0100, "R. P. McMurphy"

Funny.
I didn't get my first AC unit until I was in my 50s. When I was a kid most everybody had coolers. We thought we were lucky to have them because the old timers told of how in the old days they hung wet sheets on the porch to stay cool.