Lubrication for plumbing non-toxic?

Page 1 of 2
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric cylinders. IIRC, they're brass. It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it. What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings? Probably can't be water-soluble either.
On 8/14/2016 3:32 PM, mike wrote:

I'd clean or replace them. Grease may swell an o-ring. Happened to me when I put Vaseline on one.
On 8/14/2016 4:09 PM, Frank wrote:

There are food safe silicone lubes for o-rings, but as you say, replacing is probably the best bet long term.
On 8/14/2016 4:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Silicone should be OK. I mention replacement as they sound like Moen cartridges which last forever. I had so much trouble removing a 35 year old plus cartridge from my tub that I hired a plumber to do the one in my shower.
Mike,
Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.
Dave M.
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:10:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"

There are food safe synthetic greases on the market - Synco Super Lube is one I have used a fair bit of.
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:10:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"

Yep, thats what I was gonna suggest. I've used it for decades and it works well. It's made for faucets so it has to be non-toxic, (and should say so on the label).
On 8/16/2016 3:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I looked into some of the suggestions. Some say, "not for use on rubber gaskets." That doesn't meet the requirements so graciously snipped early on. I haven't found any that actually say you can drink the water that flows thru it.
My research suggests that "plumber's grease" is intended to be used on the part of the fixture where the valve shaft exits the body. Any water force from inside pushes it out of the fixture. The place I want to use it is INSIDE the water channel. Water force pushes it inside ME.
On 8/17/2016 1:01 AM, mike wrote:

One of the original options was to replace the o-rings. You could have been done by now and had water with no worries about contamination.
Two types of people in the world. Those that research endlessly and those that actually get the job done.
"mike" wrote in message
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric cylinders. IIRC, they're brass. It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it. What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings? Probably can't be water-soluble either.
Some Key jelly will do the trick.
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:

try some ear wax on a q-tip

On 15/08/2016 10:26, Bod wrote:

> Here's a link to prove it:
Silicone Grease - Hobby Lubricants www.hobbylubricants.com/silicone-grease.html Silicone Grease is a premium quality, non-toxic, chemically resistant, silicone high temperature grease, available in a handy twist lock cap plastic tube.

I use WD40 on everything, and despite being told it won't last, it does.
--
Why do our kids have to take the Iowa Test for Basic Skills?
Why can't we have a Georgia Test of Basic Skills with questions like,
On 15/08/2016 15:46, James Wilkinson wrote:

Silicone grease is the standard lubricant for plumbing. It's non toxic and does not rot rubber O rings and is safe to use with potable water.

Yes I'd use it if I was putting something together, but to fix something, a quick squirt with WD40 works wonders.
--
To make the train seat next to you remain empty, simply smile at anyone approaching it and pat the seat.

On 15/08/2016 15:58, James Wilkinson wrote:

WD40 is basically a solvent, not a lubricant.

It works well as both.
--
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."
- Army preventative maintainance publication

There are "poisons" everywhere. Your body doesn't die because you ingest a bit.
--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
On 8/15/2016 3:00 AM, rattlesnake wrote:

yes, earwax is a self-cleaning agent, with protective, lubricating and antibacterial properties.