Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

What if you taper (reduce the diameter) of the male fitting and use it to mark another male fitting. If it has a stamp or mold marking on the male...mark it from there to the female. Then use a new one that will fit tightly! HTH

bob_v

+++++++

That's similar to what Existential Angst wrote above which was,

"If worse comes to worse, pvc fittings are not that expensive, so maybe you can just remove some material from them so they can rotate, and sacrifice them for this particular app, and have spares on hand. Keep them around for future fit-ups, but mark them so you don't inadvertently use them."

But, your idea is a little more specific about maybe just reducing the size of a test male fitting to do the line-up. In my case, that probably would have worked more easily than what I ended up doing -- which was basically using brute force and some leverage.

Reply to
Jay-T

How about K-Y jelly? Or better yet Astro Lube! After all, you are dealing with male to female fittings.

Reply to
Tony

Hmmmm.... if that turn is *too* complex, I'd hang a sign on the toilet that says, "Flush Often, Please". Esp. with 3" pipe. Mebbe N'Yawkers just have bigger bowel movements? Our code is 4". Texas proly has a 6" code.... 48 oz steaks, donchaknow....

Reply to
Existential Angst

It's AstroGlide, and its origins were male-male. Still, given that, uh, demanding work environment/application, proly would work all the better on pvc.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I think hairspray has acetone or some other such solvent and might very well melt the plastic like the glue does.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

the outlet on the toilet is 2.5 inches at best and most are 2". 4" pipe is overkill. And I've never seen 4" pipe in a house. It won't fit down a wall.

Steve Barker

Four inch pvc fits in walls! In my last house there was one interior (non load bearing) wall that was 2x6 studs. They had some special name for it but I forget the name. In that wall are 2 4" pvc pipes, one for the plumbing waste vent through the roof and the other was put in and capped in the attic just in case I ever needed it for Radon abatement. I agree 3" is fine for the toilet. When the trap/path leaving a toilet gets to be 4", then maybe a 4" pipe would be needed. It is however very common for the main pipe to be 4" where the smaller pipes join and that normally goes out to the septic or city sanitary sewer.

Reply to
Tony

for it but I forget the name.

Wet wall, waste wall, or utilities wall? (as seen in "The Matrix")

Reply to
Bob Villa

HIGHLY unlikely. that would make it be pretty toxic.

some msds files:

non-aerosol hairspray:

hairspray:
mostly: water, alcohol, some sort of polymer glue, and fragrences.

Reply to
charlie