Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

The point of Mr Hamilton's opinion is that he didn't have to have exacting specifics of what WD-40 is. He had enough information and enough education to draw the correct conclusions on WD-40 even if he didn't have the exact recipe in front of him.

Reply to
tnom

Well, who says there was ANY lubricant existing where the WD-40 gets applied? At least you now admit it IS a lubricant. Now you just want to quibble about whether it is a good lubricant. My position has been consitent from the beginning. WD-40 is a perfectly good lubricant for THE CORRECT APPLICATIONS.

Do not use it as a substitute in the crankcase of your car, okay. That would be a WRONG APPLICATION. At the same time, if you have a rusted pair of pliers, WD-40 will free them up and lubricate them better than the motor oil in you crankcase, which is too viscous, and will never even reach the surfaces that need the lubrication, much less loosen them up.

You'll also note that I haven't claimed that WD-40 is necessarily the BEST product for any given application. I use two other products for freeing up rusted parts that I prefer over WD-40 when they are available. One is Kroil, and the other is PB Blaster. I do refute your stubborn and misguided (and erroneous) claims that WD-40 simply doesn't ever lubricate at all under any conditions.

Sez you. How many times do you have to be wrong in a day before you reach your quota, and go back to sleep?

Reply to
salty

In other words, he's incompetent. If he was a competent professional chemist he would never offer a judgement without having the facts.

Reply to
salty

No. He is competent enough to recognize chemical properties and know what makes a good lubricant and what doesn't.

It's like solving a puzzle. He only needed two clues before he knew the answer. Going by your theory he must wait for all the clues before he makes a judgment. Having to do that is what would make him incompetent.

Reply to
tnom

I have been consistent. " It is a poor lubricant."

No, that's your quibble.

OK. Name the applications where a real lubricant wouldn't be better.

Admit it. WD-40's real benefits are related to rust prevention, ability to penetrate, ability to clean, and convenience. It has no advantage as far as its lubrication properties when compared to any oil of similar viscosity.

Now you are imagining things. Please quote me on your claim above.

It's common knowledge that WD-40 leaves this film.

Reply to
tnom

Cleans and Protects Loosens Rusted Parts Frees Sticky Mechanisms Drives Out Moisture

You proved your point...IT doesn't even CLAIM to be a lubricant!

Reply to
pheeh.zero

???

He doesn't know what is in the product. It could be 100% filtered goat milk for all he knows.

Reply to
salty

It *is* a real lubricant

or... Disadvantage

"WD-40 is not a lubricant"

Yes, the manufacturer considers that film one of it's positive attributes. And what makes you think this film does not lubricate. Science says that it does.

Reply to
salty

But Paraffin IS a lubricant:

Of course the purists use beeswax - it is all-natural and more ecologically friendly that Paraffin.

Reply to
HeyBub

Filtered goat milk is more of a lubricant than WD-40

Reply to
tnom

Not only are you imagining things but you are now lying by making up a quote and attributing it to me. I will repeat. Where did I say that WD-40 doesn't ever lubricate? Be specific and post the message ID

Put that gummy wax substance on ways and it becomes glue.

Reply to
tnom

I never said it or WD-40 doesn't lubricate. I said it is a poor lubricant.

If Paraffin is such a good lubricant then why isn't it used more often? Could it be that there are better lubricants? Are these better?

Vegetable oil Soapy water Baby oil

Just why is it that people use Synthetic oil or premium grade petroleum lubricants? Do they like wasting their money or do you suppose it has something to do with these products actually doing a better job? Do you suppose that these products have multiple desirable properties that WD-40 or Vegetable oil can't come close to?

Reply to
tnom

Another point someone else made...the mechanism after being freed- up...will be sticky again in less than a week (in my experience).

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Not according to anything your "expert" said.

Reply to
salty

posted for all of us...

Did you compare MSDS sheets? This will tell you all you need to know.

Reply to
Tekkie®