Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

Page 3 of 4

Another point someone else made...the mechanism after being freed- up...will be sticky again in less than a week (in my experience).
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 7:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It does what is was designed to do. It wasn't formulated to be an efficient lubricant...only displace moisture. Get it!
You must have stock in this company.
Add pictures here
✖

WD-40 is primarily Naphtha a Paraffin. http://www.wd40.com.au/msds/ChemWatch%20MSDS%20WD-40%20Bulk.pdf
The Naphtha disappears quickly as it removes the legitimate lubricant from the item that is in need of lubrication. It then leaves a coat of Paraffin behind.
See link: http://www.lube-tips.com/focus/2006_02_15.htm
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:18:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

It would appear that WD-40 in your country is a very different product than the stuff in the U.S.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:47:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Show me.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 03:38:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Show yourself. You found the MSDS for your own country easily enough.
Add pictures here
✖

I wanted you to do that. The actual product is the same. The U.S. MSDS uses more technical chemical names for the Naphtha and paraffin within WD-40
Add pictures here
✖
posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Add pictures here
✖

Have to agree. It is not suitable for every application, but certainly works for many. We use it at work and on one application it causes none of the problems we get with various greases. The lubricated parts get pushed through a moisture laden aluminum chest and it holds up rather well.
Add pictures here
✖
oops, I meant to say for a garage door wheels, pullers and springs.
Add pictures here
✖
lbbss wrote:

I don't think these need to be lubricated as much as they need a rust prevention treatment.
Add pictures here
✖

WD-40 is a WaterDisplacment. It was not designed to lube or clean. It does do both to some degree. It also is not a zero residue product and should not be used in locks.
OK for what you have the garage door manufacturers sell products. They are usually silicone based or white lithium stuff. I use what they recommend and sell for their products.
Add pictures here
✖

how about some garage door lubricant, then. It was designed for the harsh atmosphere of your garage [the usually humid temperature in mine probably ranges from -30F to +120F] and is minimally dust attractant [the outside hardens up].
I use a product made by Genie on my rollers, pulleys, track, and screw drive. If my springs squeak I adjust them so they don't rub on anything.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
in that case, a good aerosol synthetic spray lube like maybe something you'd put on a bike chain would be good.

✖

WD40 has NO lubricitive properties whatsoever.
-Zz
Add pictures here
✖

Bzzzzt. Incorrect.
Add pictures here
✖
Zz Yzx wrote:

Many years ago I worked at a defense plant that manufactured 20mm practice rounds for the U S Air Force and artillery shell safety devices for army howitzer shells. The clockwork timer mechanisms were lubricated with WD-40. Go figure.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

re: The clockwork timer mechanisms were lubricated with WD-40. Go figure
Many years ago they used leeches for a variety of illnesses. We live, we learn, we adapt.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:35:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Howdy,
I was amazed to learn that they are being used again...
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/act.2005.11.12
All the best,
--
Kenneth

✖
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:08:53 -0400, Kenneth

Why amazed? 'We live, we learn, sometimes we're right already. . .'<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
✖