Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

How much faith should we put in a source that contains phrases like ""I haven't analysed it" and ""That would make WD-40 *like* the formulation above" and "It is possible" and "could be something crude like"?

I'm not standing for or against WD-40 as a lubricant, I'm simply pointing out that the source you provided is not exactly robust.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, for openers, WD-40 doesn't contain any kerosene. It's a common fallacy, and dopey engineers and chemists are allowed to be gullible too. However, if it DID contain kerosene, kerosene is also a lubricant.

Your problem is that you don't know enough to pick the right tool for the job. For some applications WD-40 is a great lubricant. It really depends ENTIRELY on what you are lubricating and what you need the lubrication to do.

The other problem with your link is the age. WD-40 today is not the same formulation that it was even 5 years ago, let alone what it was in 1997.

WD-40 is about 1/3 petroleum OIL. Granted it is a light oil, but an oil nontheless.

Press down with your fingers on a dry, clean piece of glass and slide them forward. Then spray the glass with a little WD-40 and do the same thing. Notice any difference?

Reply to
salty

you can do the same thing with water.

Steve Barker DLT

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in news:acSdnXPgPfUEpmvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

as a penetrating oil,it's not all that good.

(you top posters are ruining the readability of the thread. WHO reads bottom to top?)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

and?

Reply to
salty

WD-40 is primarily Naphtha a Paraffin.

The Naphtha disappears quickly as it removes the legitimate lubricant from the item that is in need of lubrication. It then leaves a coat of Paraffin behind.

See link:

tnom

Have to agree. It is not suitable for every application, but certainly works for many. We use it at work and on one application it causes none of the problems we get with various greases. The lubricated parts get pushed through a moisture laden aluminum chest and it holds up rather well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably more faith than any other post on alt.home.repair. Bruce Hamilton is a author who majored in chemistry.

Reply to
tnom

AND?? And so, WD-40 is as good a lubricant as water.

Steve Barker DLT

It would appear that WD-40 in your country is a very different product than the stuff in the U.S.

Reply to
salty

Hi, As far as I know WD40 is solvent, not a luricant. WD40 can induce rust. I use WD40 for cleaning.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Show me.

Reply to
tnom

ID Lube

Reply to
Ron

It does what is was designed to do. It wasn't formulated to be an efficient lubricant...only displace moisture. Get it!

You must have stock in this company.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

So you can't even discern the difference between water and oil? No wonder you have these flakey ideas.

Reply to
salty

Show yourself. You found the MSDS for your own country easily enough.

Reply to
salty

I'm not questioning Mr. Hamilton's credentials. However, in this case (11 years ago) he did nothing more than voice an opinion on something he never analysed. "It could be this, it could be that."

With all the data out there on the WWW, I would think a more direct source - perhaps someone who actually analysed the product in question

- as well as a more current one, could be found.

But, just like Mr. Hamilton, I'm simply voicing my opinion.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wanted you to do that. The actual product is the same. The U.S. MSDS uses more technical chemical names for the Naphtha and paraffin within WD-40

Reply to
tnom

Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant. It is a solvent that penetrates and removes the existing legitimate high film strength lubricant.

Once the solvent evaporates the WD-40 leaves a thin coat of Paraffin on the product that ends up gumming the works up, instead of lubing the works.

Reply to
tnom

re: Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant.

We seem to have gone astray here.

I wasn't addressing or offering my opinions regarding the qualities of WD-40 as a lubricant. (I did that earlier, feel free to read them at your leisure). The only thing I was addressing in my responses to you was the quality of your source. It was an 11 YO posting by a person who had never analysed the substance being discussed in this thread. I'm sure there are better sources to help you substantiate your opinion- which, again, I'm not addressing here.

Let me put it another way...If I ask an expert on Jaguars to tell me about a Porche, and he says "Well, I've never analysed a Porche but if it's like a Jaquar it might have a 300-horsepower, 4.2-liter engine and it might cost about $70,000" then I'll probably say "Thank you" and go find an expert on Porches. I don't see the value in using the Jaquar expert to substantiate my opinion of a Porche if he is merely speculating on the subject matter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03