Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

Page 2 of 4

Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant. It is a solvent that penetrates and removes the existing legitimate high film strength lubricant.
Once the solvent evaporates the WD-40 leaves a thin coat of Paraffin on the product that ends up gumming the works up, instead of lubing the works.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 16, 3:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

re: Then I'll voice mine again. WD-40 is a poor lubricant.
We seem to have gone astray here.
I wasn't addressing or offering my opinions regarding the qualities of WD-40 as a lubricant. (I did that earlier, feel free to read them at your leisure). The only thing I was addressing in my responses to you was the quality of your source. It was an 11 YO posting by a person who had never analysed the substance being discussed in this thread. I'm sure there are better sources to help you substantiate your opinion- which, again, I'm not addressing here.
Let me put it another way...If I ask an expert on Jaguars to tell me about a Porche, and he says "Well, I've never analysed a Porche but if it's like a Jaquar it might have a 300-horsepower, 4.2-liter engine and it might cost about $70,000" then I'll probably say "Thank you" and go find an expert on Porches. I don't see the value in using the Jaquar expert to substantiate my opinion of a Porche if he is merely speculating on the subject matter.
Add pictures here
✖

The point of Mr Hamilton's opinion is that he didn't have to have exacting specifics of what WD-40 is. He had enough information and enough education to draw the correct conclusions on WD-40 even if he didn't have the exact recipe in front of him.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:08:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

In other words, he's incompetent. If he was a competent professional chemist he would never offer a judgement without having the facts.
Add pictures here
✖

No. He is competent enough to recognize chemical properties and know what makes a good lubricant and what doesn't.
It's like solving a puzzle. He only needed two clues before he knew the answer. Going by your theory he must wait for all the clues before he makes a judgment. Having to do that is what would make him incompetent.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:42:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

???
He doesn't know what is in the product. It could be 100% filtered goat milk for all he knows.
Add pictures here
✖

Filtered goat milk is more of a lubricant than WD-40
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:09:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Not according to anything your "expert" said.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:19:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Well, who says there was ANY lubricant existing where the WD-40 gets applied? At least you now admit it IS a lubricant. Now you just want to quibble about whether it is a good lubricant. My position has been consitent from the beginning. WD-40 is a perfectly good lubricant for THE CORRECT APPLICATIONS.
Do not use it as a substitute in the crankcase of your car, okay. That would be a WRONG APPLICATION. At the same time, if you have a rusted pair of pliers, WD-40 will free them up and lubricate them better than the motor oil in you crankcase, which is too viscous, and will never even reach the surfaces that need the lubrication, much less loosen them up.
You'll also note that I haven't claimed that WD-40 is necessarily the BEST product for any given application. I use two other products for freeing up rusted parts that I prefer over WD-40 when they are available. One is Kroil, and the other is PB Blaster. I do refute your stubborn and misguided (and erroneous) claims that WD-40 simply doesn't ever lubricate at all under any conditions.

Sez you. How many times do you have to be wrong in a day before you reach your quota, and go back to sleep?
Add pictures here
✖

I have been consistent. " It is a poor lubricant."

No, that's your quibble.

OK. Name the applications where a real lubricant wouldn't be better.
Admit it. WD-40's real benefits are related to rust prevention, ability to penetrate, ability to clean, and convenience. It has no advantage as far as its lubrication properties when compared to any oil of similar viscosity.

Now you are imagining things. Please quote me on your claim above.

It's common knowledge that WD-40 leaves this film.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:59:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

It *is* a real lubricant

or... Disadvantage

"WD-40 is not a lubricant"

Yes, the manufacturer considers that film one of it's positive attributes. And what makes you think this film does not lubricate. Science says that it does.
Add pictures here
✖

Not only are you imagining things but you are now lying by making up a quote and attributing it to me. I will repeat. Where did I say that WD-40 doesn't ever lubricate? Be specific and post the message ID

Put that gummy wax substance on ways and it becomes glue.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

But Paraffin IS a lubricant:
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3895-finish-line-krytech-paraffin-lube-4oz.aspx
http://www.luxcowax.com/pvc.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Lubricating_a_Bicycle_Chain_using_Paraffin /
Of course the purists use beeswax - it is all-natural and more ecologically friendly that Paraffin.
Add pictures here
✖

I never said it or WD-40 doesn't lubricate. I said it is a poor lubricant.

If Paraffin is such a good lubricant then why isn't it used more often? Could it be that there are better lubricants? Are these better?
Vegetable oil Soapy water Baby oil
Just why is it that people use Synthetic oil or premium grade petroleum lubricants? Do they like wasting their money or do you suppose it has something to do with these products actually doing a better job? Do you suppose that these products have multiple desirable properties that WD-40 or Vegetable oil can't come close to?
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:51:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Well, for openers, WD-40 doesn't contain any kerosene. It's a common fallacy, and dopey engineers and chemists are allowed to be gullible too. However, if it DID contain kerosene, kerosene is also a lubricant.
Your problem is that you don't know enough to pick the right tool for the job. For some applications WD-40 is a great lubricant. It really depends ENTIRELY on what you are lubricating and what you need the lubrication to do.
The other problem with your link is the age. WD-40 today is not the same formulation that it was even 5 years ago, let alone what it was in 1997.
WD-40 is about 1/3 petroleum OIL. Granted it is a light oil, but an oil nontheless.
Press down with your fingers on a dry, clean piece of glass and slide them forward. Then spray the glass with a little WD-40 and do the same thing. Notice any difference?
Add pictures here
✖
you can do the same thing with water.

✖
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:21:36 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

and?
Add pictures here
✖
AND?? And so, WD-40 is as good a lubricant as water.

✖
So you can't even discern the difference between water and oil? No wonder you have these flakey ideas.
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:44:35 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Add pictures here
✖

Cleans and Protects Loosens Rusted Parts Frees Sticky Mechanisms Drives Out Moisture
You proved your point...IT doesn't even CLAIM to be a lubricant!
Add pictures here
✖