Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

Page 1 of 4

I've googled this topic and there is two opinions out there. Some say use regular oil because it last longer, others say use wd-40 because it does not collect dust, which will gum up and create problems. Any ideas which is better?

Better for what?
In general, WD-40 is *not* a great lubricant. It's a pretty good cleaner, a decent rust inhibitor - if renewed regularly - and not bad for stopping squeaks in hinges, etc. but as a lubricant it ranks pretty low on the totem pole.
I'd argue that there isn't really one perfect lubricant for all applications. What is it that you are planning to lubriacte?

ID Lube
lbbss wrote:

3-In-One Oil works for most household oiling from the furnace blower, sewing machine, hinges, toys and just about anything that needs a drop of oil. WD-40 comes from the same company but it was developed for a different purpose. The inventor tried a number of formulas before he came up with "Water Displacement formula number 40" hence it's name. Take the cap off a can of WD-40 spray enough in the cap to fill it to depth of about 1/8 inch then put a drop of water in it, the reaction is quite interesting. Different items like chain drives need a different type of lubricant.
http://www.3inone.com/products /
TDD
lbbss wrote:

If I want something that lasts a long time and doesn't attract dust, I use K-Y Jelly.

Use what the doctor recommended.
lbbss wrote:

For what? Changing the oil in your car?
#1. since when does wd-40 not collect dust? #2. WD-40 is not a lubricant. so the two are not interchangeable

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:01:42 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Incorrect, and easily disproved with a practical application test. Take a pair of pliers that are stuck in one position from rust and non-use. Spray the hinge with WD-40, which is a penetrating lubricant. work the pliers open and closed. They will get easier and easier to manipulate as the lubricant penetrates.
Just because a lubricant isn't like molasses doesn't mean it is not a lubricant.
bzzzt what??? you've never freed up stuck parts with a torch?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:17:56 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

You may free up a stuck part with a torch if you don't manage to distort it, but it sure won't be lubricated.
So, bzzzzt.

And neither will it be lubricated with WD40, cause WD40 is not a lubricant.
so,
bzzzzzzzzzzzttt.... thanks for playing though.

All you have proven is that you are not a very skilled or able craftsman or mechanic.
You can repeat your mistaken belief that WD-40 is not a lubricant as many times as you like, but it will not be correct.
You just don't understand what a lubricant is.
You are on the same level of expertise as someone who would claim that motor oil is not a lubricant, because only axle grease is a lubricant.
I'd say Bzzzzt again, but I sprayed some WD-40 on it and the noise stopped due to a sudden lack of friction.
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:17:32 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

No, i'm not very mechanical. I've only been ASE certified since '79 in both automotive and heavy truck areas.
so, piss off and keep spraying your wd40 around. It helps the economy i guess. It sure as hell doesn't help anything else.
steve

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:51:03 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Proving only that the cert is pretty much worthless. I guess if you don't have a college degree, it at least makes you feel like you have some sort of "paper"

as a penetrating oil,it's not all that good.
(you top posters are ruining the readability of the thread. WHO reads bottom to top?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's a poor lubricant and shouldn't be used as such. Follow the link:
http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html
On Oct 15, 3:51pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

How much faith should we put in a source that contains phrases like ""I haven't analysed it" and ""That would make WD-40 *like* the formulation above" and "It is possible" and "could be something crude like"?
I'm not standing for or against WD-40 as a lubricant, I'm simply pointing out that the source you provided is not exactly robust.
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:44:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Probably more faith than any other post on alt.home.repair. Bruce Hamilton is a author who majored in chemistry.
On Oct 15, 9:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I'm not questioning Mr. Hamilton's credentials. However, in this case (11 years ago) he did nothing more than voice an opinion on something he never analysed. "It could be this, it could be that."
With all the data out there on the WWW, I would think a more direct source - perhaps someone who actually analysed the product in question - as well as a more current one, could be found.
But, just like Mr. Hamilton, I'm simply voicing my opinion.