Lubricant for outdoor lights

Is dielectric grease suitable to use to lubricate the threads of outdoor lights to keep them from crudding up and being hard to unscrew?

thx - jim

Reply to
Spam Me Knot

Dialectric grease should work but if it cruds up water is getting in from the top, use sicilone caulk to seal the fittings.

Reply to
m Ransley

High humidity over an extended time will produce corrosion. This from direct personal experience. TB

Reply to
tbasc

This is the stuff you want. I used to sometimes break bulbs trying to uncrew them because of the threads adhering. I bought some of this stuff earlier this year after reading a thread about it and haven't had any difficulty getting a bulb out since. BTW: a little goes a looooong way. I bought two little tubs initially but now know one will probably last me for a lifetime.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yes it is Anthony

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller

Sounds like a good idea to me... and on *any* screw in bulb that has aluminum threads, not just outdoor.

I've been using an unidentified, black anti-sieze grease (origin, I can't remember) for this for some years. I should get something else, as I think this stuff contains lead, but it sure works well.

Just make sure to use grease *very* sparingly in this situation, and like another poster said, there might be an aberant moisture/leakage problem that should be fixed.

Just my two cents.

Reply to
tbl

Years ago we used to use Vaseline.

Reply to
Stubby

Shudder!

Reply to
tbl

Why? It works fine. No stck bulbs in over 50 years.

Reply to
Stubby

Melting point. Can't remember off-hand what it is, but I

*do* remember that I often eat food that's hotter.
Reply to
tbl