Lubricant for Door Threshold Weatherstrip (2023 Update)

About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.

Reply to
Red Green

I use paste wax, like Johnson's.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

do you have enough clearance to rub a bar of soap on the bottom of the door?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Would you happen to know the brand name of that door? I have been looking for that kind of weather proofing for the bottom of my steel door without any luck in finding what I am looking for.

Thanks

Ron

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Armor All, Safe to use on vinyl.

Reply to
Oren

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in news:h56p4v$gt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

Came from Lowes. Most likely their ReliaBilt brand.

Reply to
Red Green

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Hmmm, wouldn't have thought of that one.

Reply to
Red Green

I have used saw wax to lubricate both metal and wood door frames/thresholds with very good results.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C5BDECE692F3RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

Lots of good suggestions I never thought of. Glad I posted the Q.

Haven't tried anything yet but one that popped into my head was furniture polish maybe?

Reply to
Red Green

replying to N8N, Becca wrote: WOW I tried a bunch of oils, etc. The door was driving me crazy it was so loud opening and closing. Tried the bar of mini soap from a hotel. IT WORKED!!!!

Reply to
Becca

Soap worked wonders for me! I don't even think you need a specific brand. Just make sure you aren't attached to the bar, because it's going to get dirty. I just rubbed it dry onto both the rubber part and the frame below it. Not even a whisper of a squeak. (I know it was 11 years ago, just putting this hear for anyone who may be curious and doesn't have fancy wax)

Reply to
Suebea

I've used this on rubber weatherstripping on my cars over the years, with decent results:

It was originally used by Honda on their cars years ago. I don't see why it wouldn't work in this application.

Reply to
Francis S

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 23:01:42 -0500, Francis S posted for all of us to digest...

Frank could possibly look this up and see if it's just good old silicone grease or not.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Thanks! worked for me.

Reply to