TIA, Puddin'
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Given the PITA to remove/install the fan and the relatively low cost that you can get a decent fan for today, I know I wouldn't screw around with it.
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:57:05 -0500, Puddin' Man wrote:

Worn out, replace it.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

Yes, its kind of a PITA to do but you could replace the bearings for about $12.00 and then you'd have a fan that would probably last for ever.
OK, so I'm retired and have a little more time to do stuff like this but I find it very satisfying.
Lewis.
*****
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:57:05 -0500, Puddin' Man

I'd replace it. Perhaps you can lube it and wait until August when there are drastic reductions on ceiling fans. I bought one at Home Depot for $11 and it has been running fine for 6 years.
alt.home.repair:

Whatever you do, go easy on the oil. My father-in-law oiled the fan in his living room, then spent more than FIVE YEARS wiping drops of oil off the bottom of the light fixture every few weeks, though it slowed down to every few months toward the end. I always wondered how many cans of oil he used on one fan....
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement