LP Regulator Failure

We just had to have our LP regulator replaced by our propane company. Our tank was empty and we could smell propane throughout the backyard. The company states regulators don't leak for long periods of time they leak for a little bit then burst and fail completely. Does this sound correct or can they leak for a long time (more than 2 months) then fail?