LP Heaters

Presently I have a wall-mounted, open-flame LP heater for supplemental heat in my upstairs bedroom. The upstairs is just the bedroom and the bathroom. Combined, they are about 700 square feet. They are normally heated by a heat pump. The LP heater is used only on really cold days when the heat pump can't keep up without engaging the extremely-expensive-to-operate heat strips.
The heater is not approved for bedroom use, and it is never run when anyone is asleep in the room. However, I would like to find an LP heater that can run during the night, if there is such a thing. A split system could be installed, but that's more than I want to spend for supplemental heating.
The question then is, what sort of LP heaters can be safely used in a bedroom? I realize local codes vary, but I'm more interested in safety than in codes. (Whatever is safe will probably be approved under the code.)
On 1/22/2014 8:29 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

I think (altho I've not checked) the only thing that will be approved and certainly the only thing I'd consider (altho that doesn't really have anything to do with anything) is externally vented.
I'd suggest think "electric blanket" or just add another comforter.

On 1/22/14 8:29 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

There are several direct vent LP heaters at Amazon. Prices range from under $500 USD to over $2500 USD.
On 1/22/2014 7:35 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

More or less the way I feel about it:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/energy-solutions/avoid-unvented-gas-heaters
Friend had put them in his hunting camp after he got free gas hook-up. In spite of them having shut off control for low oxygen and carbon monoxide, they still scared me and like article says, who wants to breathe combustion products.
On 1/22/14 7:00 PM, Frank wrote:

Dad had a shop heater that burned diesel fuel or kerosene. It was basically a tub with a pipe sticking out of the center for a chimney. One regulated the heat using an air vent on the top of the tub. I don't remember much else about it.
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:00:53 -0500, Frank

Oh, Heavens! Water and CO2! Both greenhouse gasses. Run!