Lowes vs Lumber Yard Price

Page 1 of 2

Just an isolated example: Lowes 1-lb electro galv roofing nails 3.33. Local lumber yard 2.79. Same brand and all.
Now at the "Building Supply" place where I had to get matching replacement siding pieces, their smallest box is 5 lb.

I think LOWES specializes in sellin small quantities. Just try buying a 100 machine screws there. I bought a 100 box for the price of one of their blister packs.
Jimmie

I'd have to agree somewhat. But that's what the avg Joe Homeowner wants. And the Borg has 10's of thousands of JH that need 4 of these screws and pretty much know they can go to the Borg and get a blister 6pk and only have to put away and lose the other two vs 96!
Red Green wrote:

If I need 6 or more, I go ahead and buy a box. After 20-some years of living compactly in an apartment, that is one of the reasons I bought a house- so I could start having a storehouse of hardware like when I was a kid.
-- aem sends...

Well that proves it. You are not average :-) .........not avg JH anyways.

Nice to hear from a fellow pack rat... <G>
Joe

I have been saving stuff for decades and have my own little warehouse now.
The downside: Neighbor comes over "Hey, how ya doin'? By the way would you happen to have a ......?"
Charlie
aemeijers wrote:

Empty coffee cans make handy storage containers, I have a bunch :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

re: Empty coffee cans.... I have a bunch
Then you should start storing things in them.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Way ahead of you, they are all full. Except those I use for cleaning paint brushes.
Fruitcake tins are handy storage devices too...they spread stuff out more than coffee cans, easier to spot that special, needed bolt saved from long ago.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH | 2009-10-08 | 10:39:58 AM wrote:

I've been saving all the extras from jobs for clients. A few months ago, I realized I had jars and jars of specialty screws and nails and bolts and brackets. I sorted through them, kept a handful of picture hooks, and recycled all the rest.
I hadn't used anything in the jars for more than two years. Now, except for generic fasteners, I buy small packages and charge the client on the invoice. I try to leave the extras with the client.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

'Twas an attempt at some grammer related humor.
re: "Empty coffee cans make handy storage containers, I have a bunch"
The subject of the sentence is "empty coffee cans", therefore you told us that you have a bunch of empty coffee cans.
re: "they are all full"
Hmm...me thinks you were lying to us.<g>
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ah. This better?
Coffee cans make handy storage containers. I have a bunch filled with stuff.
PS: I studied grammar in school and both my grammers are dead. Grand dads too :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Problem is that eventually you forget what you have and don't have. Many times I have bought an item to fix something and then later found one in my "stuff".

That's because many years ago you put it someplace where you would be sure to find it when you needed it.
Had you thrown it out back then, you would have said to yourself "Now where did I put that XXXX? I know I wouldn't never throw something like that out." Then you'd waste 2 hours looking for it, give up and go buy one. The advantage is that you wouldn't come across it later in your "stuff".
You can't win.
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:50:56 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
:Problem is that eventually you forget what you have and don't have. :Many times I have bought an item to fix something and then later found :one in my "stuff".
Doesn't happen to me often at all. You need to get better organized.
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

re: Coffee cans make handy storage containers. I have a bunch filled with stuff.
Closer.
re: "Coffee cans make handy storage containers".
A very true fact that stands under it own merits.
re: "I have a bunch filled with stuff"
A bunch of coffee cans filled with stuff or a bunch of storage containers filled with stuff?
While in some cases they may be one and the same, it is unclear to the reader if *you* are using coffee cans as storage containers or just simply stating an interesting fact about them (coffee cans, not storage containers).
I think that most readers would correctly *assume* that you are using coffee cans as storage containers, but I'm not sure if that assumption would stand up in court.
I once saw Kelsey Grammer at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

Yo Mo Fo. Wuz wit the grammer shitz? A can can be empty of what you can see but be full of what you can't see. Think science/physics.
Word...
    http://tinypic.com/r/30j664h/4

Is that part of the M$ Office suite in Ebonics? What an amazing feat.
Joe
:Way ahead of you, they are all full. Except those I use for cleaning paint :brushes. : :Fruitcake tins are handy storage devices too...they spread stuff out more :than coffee cans, easier to spot that special, needed bolt saved from long :ago.
Nice for storage are those plastic drawer gizmos designed for the purpose. I have a couple of those. That's for specific parts, like 8x32 machine screws, various sizes of washers, nails, nuts, etc. etc. etc. I even have a few drawers dedicated to stainless steel parts. For some parts, I buy in bulk and keep them in the boxes, usually from Home Depot.
Glass jars are nice, cause you can see in them. Also, clear plastic containers. I have at least one dedicated to matched machine screws, matched wood screws, etc. all in individual plastic bags and placed in a container. Then there are containers for unmatched machine screws, unmatched wood screws. Several other containers, and many boxes on shelves with specific purposes, and so labeled so I don't have to remember too much.
Tool rack, various shelves all over the room. My neighbors don't even know about my toolroom, so I never have to deal with the knock on the door for a tool. Only a couple of my friends know about it, one's reaction when he saw it: "Santa's workshop!" I also have work aprons and belts, a tool bucket with bucket boss, a cool tool pouch I made myself from leather years ago when I worked on the docks.
Dan
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net