Lowes vs Lumber Yard Price

Just an isolated example: Lowes 1-lb electro galv roofing nails 3.33. Local lumber yard 2.79. Same brand and all.

Now at the "Building Supply" place where I had to get matching replacement siding pieces, their smallest box is 5 lb.

Reply to
Red Green

I think LOWES specializes in sellin small quantities. Just try buying a 100 machine screws there. I bought a 100 box for the price of one of their blister packs.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

JIMMIE wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b18g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

I'd have to agree somewhat. But that's what the avg Joe Homeowner wants. And the Borg has 10's of thousands of JH that need 4 of these screws and pretty much know they can go to the Borg and get a blister 6pk and only have to put away and lose the other two vs 96!

Reply to
Red Green

If I need 6 or more, I go ahead and buy a box. After 20-some years of living compactly in an apartment, that is one of the reasons I bought a house- so I could start having a storehouse of hardware like when I was a kid.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:ncGdnYGbjZLvzVDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well that proves it. You are not average :-) .........not avg JH anyways.

Reply to
Red Green

Nice to hear from a fellow pack rat...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I just bought a box of the EG roofing nails (1 1/2") from the Despot for either $2.94 or $2.74 IIRC.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I have been saving stuff for decades and have my own little warehouse now.

The downside: Neighbor comes over "Hey, how ya doin'? By the way would you happen to have a ......?"

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Empty coffee cans make handy storage containers, I have a bunch :)

Reply to
dadiOH

re: Empty coffee cans.... I have a bunch

Then you should start storing things in them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Way ahead of you, they are all full. Except those I use for cleaning paint brushes.

Fruitcake tins are handy storage devices too...they spread stuff out more than coffee cans, easier to spot that special, needed bolt saved from long ago.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've been saving all the extras from jobs for clients. A few months ago, I realized I had jars and jars of specialty screws and nails and bolts and brackets. I sorted through them, kept a handful of picture hooks, and recycled all the rest.

I hadn't used anything in the jars for more than two years. Now, except for generic fasteners, I buy small packages and charge the client on the invoice. I try to leave the extras with the client.

Reply to
SteveBell

m:

'Twas an attempt at some grammer related humor.

re: "Empty coffee cans make handy storage containers, I have a bunch"

The subject of the sentence is "empty coffee cans", therefore you told us that you have a bunch of empty coffee cans.

re: "they are all full"

Hmm...me thinks you were lying to us.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah. This better?

Coffee cans make handy storage containers. I have a bunch filled with stuff.

PS: I studied grammar in school and both my grammers are dead. Grand dads too :)

Reply to
dadiOH

com:

Problem is that eventually you forget what you have and don't have. Many times I have bought an item to fix something and then later found one in my "stuff".

Reply to
jamesgangnc

com:

re: Coffee cans make handy storage containers. I have a bunch filled with stuff.

Closer.

re: "Coffee cans make handy storage containers".

A very true fact that stands under it own merits.

re: "I have a bunch filled with stuff"

A bunch of coffee cans filled with stuff or a bunch of storage containers filled with stuff?

While in some cases they may be one and the same, it is unclear to the reader if *you* are using coffee cans as storage containers or just simply stating an interesting fact about them (coffee cans, not storage containers).

I think that most readers would correctly *assume* that you are using coffee cans as storage containers, but I'm not sure if that assumption would stand up in court.

I once saw Kelsey Grammer at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

s.com:

That's because many years ago you put it someplace where you would be sure to find it when you needed it.

Had you thrown it out back then, you would have said to yourself "Now where did I put that XXXX? I know I wouldn't never throw something like that out." Then you'd waste 2 hours looking for it, give up and go buy one. The advantage is that you wouldn't come across it later in your "stuff".

You can't win.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

Yo Mo Fo. Wuz wit the grammer shitz? A can can be empty of what you can see but be full of what you can't see. Think science/physics.

Word...

Red Green

Is that part of the M$ Office suite in Ebonics? What an amazing feat.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Lowes is like anywhere else; you have to know what your'e buying, and if the pennies matter, also be aware of what other places charge for the same things. Sometimes there are great sales elsewhere. In general though I make out pretty well at Lowes and I love the service.

One thing they do that i really like is to sell 85" lumber vs the standard 96" or 8'. It's very seldom I ever need more than the 85" and constantly toss the foot long leftovers in the fire or scrap bin. For me at least that saves me a pretty good amount of money. Same board-foot price, sometimes a tad less, than the 8' too depending on their stock. It seems to be better lumber too but that's probably just to get people used to it. But all of Lowes lumber is pretty good; straight, not cracked and/or twisted. Much better than the local yards.

Regards,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne