Lowes vs. Home Depot

Page 1 of 3
Seems to me, here in SE Pennsylvania at least, that these two retail giants have their respective eyes set on each other.
Both are Southern companies, so the personalities are similar.
(I do this for a living, so take my word for it)
But, has anyone had any preference over the other in terms of
Service
or
Price?
I think I'd have to go to Home Cheap-O for both. They sell more, so have more buying power. Plus, they seem to train at least some of their employees to *pretend* they are interested in keeping their jobs.
But, as Lowes is 1/4 mile away, and Home Depot 3/4 mile away (this is suburbia mind you, not the city), I think my 1st choice is Lowes. Geography.
As I am one to save budget where I am able (I do not make a great living) am I really losing out on dollars and cents by not shopping at HD?
Signed,
Mr. Curious
Yea, I was wondering this very question recently too. My recent experience found a happy medium. I found Lowes to be more expensive on some wood I was buying and a couple dollars more on some other items, but the selection of the quality of the products at Lowes was greater. Lowes had a nicer selection, but it costs a little more for the look and quality. I would suggest regular items go to HD, but if you want character and style on some stuff go to Lowes. Example, buy light bulbs at HD, but buy track lighting at Lowes.
Example: 20 1"x6"x10' - Lowes $5.99 and HD $5.29 (adds up when you buy 20 of them)
This mirrors my experience pretty well. I find Lowe's has a better selection when style is an issue. Most recently, I was looking for a flush-mount ceiling fan, and HD had only one cheezy looking model, but Lowe's had several in all price ranges. I like the look of our Lowe's better, too -- brighter, cleaner, and more welcoming. HD seems to have a slightly broader range of large appliances, though, but I'm not sure either of these would be my first pick for those.
Jo Ann
johnnymo wrote:

If you are buying an extended warranty on an appliance, they are cheap at Lowes compared to Sears.

But then cheaper at Lowes once they take the "competitive" 5% discount off the HD price. Just tell them how much they are charging at HD.
I find that no matter what job I go to HD to get material for, they are ALWAYS out of at least one item I really NEED to finish the job... Then I go to Lowes and get ALL the stuff with the 5% discount off HD prices
On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:48:55 -0400, "ng_reader"

Gutter screws were cheaper at Lowe's. Maybe 50 cents cheaper for 10.
On Rte 40 in Baltimore, both stores within a half mile.

eyes set on each other nationally for years. Are you unaware that the founders of HD are from California? (though probably from the NE before that...)
I thought one of the HD founders was from Atlanta. He donated a ton of money to the new Aquarium in Atlanta.
There isn't a Lowes (yet) in my area. I went to HD yesterday to get a piece of 2" styrofoam. They refused to cut it for me (8 feet is too big for my car) so I went to a nearby lumber yard for it.
---MIKE---

ng_reader wrote:

I live within walking distance of a Home Depot and a Lowe's, and I quit going to Lowe's because of all the pricing mistakes, lack of employees (10-minute waits to get anybody, even when the store isn't busy), and lack of knowledgeable employees. I had to speak to three people before finding one who knew where the window air conditioners were -- in Arizona in July. A person who had worked in the plumbing dept. since day one asked another employee, "Do we have anything called 'copper fittings'?" And when I shopped for a washing machine, no employees could answer my questions but simply referred me to their appliance catalog, which didn't cover the models I was looking at. One person also recommended that I use PVC pipe for hot water. Don't you mean CPVC? "They're the same thing, except for color."
Home Depot people seem to be better trained, whether they're moonlighting tradesmen (they're the ones who don't smile much) or regular employees.
On 6 Sep 2006 15:52:08 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"

That's right. That's what CPVC stands for. Colored PVC.

LMAO!

uh-huh, right. The only 'tradesmen' that work at that kind of store aren't really tradesmen. they are wanna-be tradesmen, much like the Storming Moron. That kind of store can't afford to really pay tradesmen.

He said they were moonlighting tradesmen. You know, the ones that make $35 an hour on their regular job, then go to Home Depot to make $7.50 for a few extra bucks spending money.
wrote in message

You need extra spending money at $35 bucks an hour?
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:59:21 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Believing that you have all the money you need, is a sign of mental illness. Even for Bill Gates.

Mark Lloyd
wrote in message

wrote in message

group.

Yep

Out here in lower down home flyover country it's no contest. Lowe's wins hands down.
Every time I go to Home Creepo it takes ten minutes to shop and twenty minutes to check out. There is never more than one register open and there is always a long line. They have that stupid "self checkout" thing, but half the time their primitive computer returns "item not found" and I have to stand there until an employee gets back from their weed break to reset the damned thing.
The only reason I go there any more is for some item that I can't get at Lowe's. I'm a landlord and spend a lot of money on home improvement stuff every month. It used to be about 60/40 for Lowes but now it's closer to 95/5; I just don't have time to stand in line for twenty minutes every time I go to the Orange place.