Lowes Paint Counter vs. A Real Paint Store

Page 2 of 2

I used to have one nearby. I'd go in and tell the owner I was going to get some pipe. Then I'd go downstairs, cut and thread whatever I needed and bring it up to the counter. He never measured, but took my measurements to price it and off I'd go.

This gives me an idea. My HD has a self service miter boxes for cutting trim. Maybe I'll go cut myself and sue them back to the stone ages.
We have something like that near me. He doesn't send me to the cellar to cut and thread pipe, but he did roll off a bunch of 12-2 UF and charge me less than HD for a longer piece. I do try to bring him my business, when possible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

-- Of course, you'd be a knucklehead to go to that same place for a can -- of standard-color paint that you can easily find on one of the -- gazillions of paint sample cards at Lowes.
Unless you also want one of the 8 finishes available at the paint store instead of the 3 available at the borgs. I choose a Low Lustre finish based on the recomendation from the expert. At Lowes I had a choice of flat, satin or semi-gloss.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I took a paint stick into a SW store, said to the guy, "I need a half-gallon of this."
"We don't do half-gallons," he said.
"Okay," I replied, "I'll take two quarts."
"Can't do that either. Minimum is a gallon."
"So I suppose four pints is out of the question?"
I left. About a half hour later, I repeated the conversation to the regional manager for SW who said: "I know the guy you described. Up until a couple of minutes ago, he was in our management-trainee program. That store does cater to builders and contractors, but he should have found some way to accomodate you."
That store does cater

Does SW designate only certain stores as homeowner friendly? I've bought tinted quarts there lots of times.

My experience with the big boxes: If it's not a stock color or the computer color match doesn't get the match right, you're toast. They normally don't know jack about tweaking.
Guys at paint stores know colorants and how to tweak. Not all of them, mind you -- it's rather amusing to see the formula written on the can involving 8 colorants and the color is basically Light Tan. One mistake requires an additional colorant to kill the mistake, so the final formula can get quite "wordy".