LOWES INSTALLERS - Fraud

Ha anybody ever had a lowes installer come out to their home to measure their kitchen? And then convince them if they eliminate LOWES that they will offer them a good price? If you had someone come out did Lowes advised you that it was a licensed contractor? I lived in Sunrise, FL and I fell victim of a scam that's costs me $6,000.00 awaiting the media's contact but I am curious if anyone had this problem. If so please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com,

------------------------------------- N.Maharaj

/o)\ \(o/

Reply to
maha2010

So you tried to screw Lowes and got screwed yourself? Can you say KARMA?

Reply to
ChairMan

There is no such thing as a lowes installer. Lowes subs out all it's actual work to local contractors. Sounds like you had one of them offer to cut lowes out of the middle in exchange for a better price. That's a bit unethical. They probably were a licensed contractor as Lowes would not have worked with them to start with.

But you should not have paid out until the work was completed. Small local contractors are notorius for taking money and not finishing jobs. They get in a hole and can't get out. Once they are in too deep they just bankrupt the business and start another one. On any job you need to establish a progress/pay out schedule of some sort. A little up front money is ok. If there are a lot of materials involved sometimes I tell them to put together the order with the supplier and I'll phone in a payment to the supplier on condition that the materials are being delivered to the site. That way I at least have the materials if the contractor vanishes.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

nbmaharaj_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (maha2010) wrote in news:454bc$4ceaabf1 $45499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

Well if the installer would screw Lowes then why would they not screw you and that's exactly what happened. You're just a con who got conned. I don't see where the injustice is on this one.

Was the installer's name Gupta? Just curious.

Reply to
Red Green

Doesn't "the regular way" mean no top posting?

Reply to
Larry W

Not to Stormy. Killfile him, and save yourself the time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

YOU GOT JUST WHAT YOU DESERVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jerry - OHIO

Fla. eh?

Is that where Lowes sold that tainted drywall that's mentioned on their receipts?

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

I am a contractor I don't do this just on weekends, its not a hobby its what I do to put food on the table. I have been approached by no less then three different companies to work for them or under them. They offer me this so they can make somewhere between 8 and 12 percent off my labour. Now Lowes and Home Depot are not happy selling me the products they also want a cut of my business. NO THANK YOU! I am already forced to pay Workman's Compensation Board six percent of my Gross! Which makes me sick because this Government backed private entity is about as helpful as an HMO when you need it, This parasite will make any excuse in the book why you're not covered for that!

I always tell people don't pay up front for anything! A contractor of reputable status should have accounts to buy materials. Once the material shows up pay for that portion. Don't ever pay for more work than that which has been done. You hire a contractor for a thirty grand kitchen reno and you have paid him 25k and the cabinets are not even on site you are in trouble! My own Grandmother got screwed by a contractor that lives in another City. This particular contractor nickel and dimed her till she had paid ninety percent of a job that was not half finished.

I don't take deposits unless we are talking a reno over the fifty thousand mark. If you are doing a big reno ask your contractor what the deposit is for and make sure that this man is buying the material or make the cheques payable to his suppliers. Ask for receipts to ensure the contractor is using the money to buy the material for your renovation. If you give your contractor a deposit and the next thing you know the guy is on vacation you are in trouble.

You can avoid a lot of shady contractors by asking to see a City License? Does this contractor have a company bank account? Or are you making the cheques out in his name? Ask for references? Do the references have the same last name? Does the contractor have liability insurance? WCB? How long they been in business? Do they have a website? Good contractors will have all of the above and more. Just because they have a business card doesn't mean they are legit. If they have a business card and you are making the cheque out to his name something is wrong?

Reply to
andy mather rocam general cont

Another favorite of mine is the people coming through after a major event such as roofers following the hail storms. They have a local phone (usually cell) number but the truck is registered in Texas. Really???

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

(replied to some ancient usenet post, thinking it's a current thread)

The big box stores (like Home Despot) have been known to stiff the contractors doing work for them.

I'm sure there is no end of jobs for one-man contractors in the current state the US economy is in - with people looking through kijiji and craigs list for contractors willing to work for cash. No taxes, no workmans comp insurance.

The dirty little secret about the record low percentage of people in the labor force in the US is that many that claim not to be working or even looking for work are actually working under the table for cash - and not reporting their income to Uncle Obama.

Reply to
HomeGuy

You've responded to a long-outdated newsgroup post. Maybe it was archived by Google. Maybe you responded to a reprint on a commercial site. (Some websites try to make money by reprinting newsgroup posts and presenting them as their own forum.)

Google archives newsgroup (Usenet) posts with their search engine. Google also links newsgroups to their Google Groups service. *But Google Groups is not the same thing as Usenet newsgroups.* If you don't know what newsgroups are you might benefit from an explanation:

If you want to take part in current newsgroup discussions you might want to consider getting a real newsreader. Newsgroups use NNTP protocol rather than the HTTP protocol used for webpages. It's a different format, not optimized for viewing in a browser. For a list of newsreader software, see here:

You can then subscribe to a news server to access various groups. One popular, free server is here:

Your ISP may also provide newsgroup access.

Reply to
Mayayana

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 09:02:10 -0400, "Mayayana" wrote in

snip

Good post

Reply to
CRNG

| > If you want to take part in current newsgroup discussions | >you might want to consider getting a real newsreader. | >Newsgroups use NNTP protocol rather than the HTTP protocol | >used for webpages. It's a different format, not optimized | >for viewing in a browser. For a list of newsreader software, | >see here: | > | >

| | Good post

These misguided posts have become so common that I decided to come up with a sort of template response, in hopes of helping some of the people lost in Google Groups to understand the landscape.... and save the rest of us some trouble in the process. Though I wonder how many GG people who don't understand Usenet actually ever see such explanations. If nothing else, I suppose, they might run across them in their Google searches, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a lost GG poster return to the thread they started.

Reply to
Mayayana

Except that he mentioned a usenet server that requires more complexity to use (such as user-name and password).

When instructing a newbie how to use usenet, it's always better to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

And that means pointing them to a server that doesn't require having an account. No user-name and password.

Such as nntp.aioe.org.

But giving such advice is largely futile - because those people never come back.

Reply to
HomeGuy

| > | > Good post | | Except that he mentioned a usenet server that requires more complexity | to use (such as user-name and password). |

I think most people can handle that. :) They signed up for gmail, after all. And they got online somehow. In fact, the average Internet denizen probably spends a good deal of time making up usernames and passwords. Most online interactive sites these days require it. The much bigger challenge would be to download, install and set up a news reader. That requires specific, technical steps. In my experience that's what mixes people up. There's a large percentage of people who simply will not tolerate thinking in a linear manner.

I have listed aioe in the past, but a number of people have said that they're blacklisted due to allowing illegal activity. I don't know about that. I use them myself as a backup when ES is down. But I figured it might be best not to lead people to an uncertain service.

Reply to
Mayayana

On 08 Jun 2014, "Mayayana" wrote in alt.home.repair:

I've never once seen them respond after their "necro-post". I don't know how they found Google Groups in the first place in order to do it, but I'm convinced that they are so clueless that they will never find it again or see any follow-ups.

Reply to
Nil

What nonsense. With a client based reader, eg Outlook Express, one click and you're on a different newsgroup. With Goggle Groups, one click and I'm on a different newsgroup.

There are some difference. With GG, I can access it from anywhere. I don't have to go figure out how a newsreader works, which one I want, download it and maybe pay for it, install it, etc. And I don't have to figure out which newsreader I'm going to connect to. It's like using 20 year old technology and insisting that's the only correct way of doing it.

Reply to
trader_4

| I've never once seen them respond after their "necro-post". I don't | know how they found Google Groups in the first place in order to do it, | but I'm convinced that they are so clueless that they will never find | it again or see any follow-ups. |

Yes, that may be. There's a coincidental, similar thread going in another group. Someone recommended filtering GG posts. I don't have filters on my email program, and there are some legitimate posters using GG, anyway. That whole idea of "killfiling" never seemed like a workable approach to me. But I would like to understand better how these people [mis]understand what they're doing. It would be nice if some could be helped to understand the possibilities of Usenet.

Reply to
Mayayana

When it comes to Google Giggler's, you can't assume anything - especially figuring out how to post to usenet using something other that Google Gropes.

They know how to use a browser. Anything else (like a dedicated usenet client) is obviously a crap-shoot.

So, you're one of those that propagate bullshit info about AIOE I see.

I'll make the same challenge to you that I've made to others making similar bullshit claims: Post any evidence of "illegal activity". Post any evidence where someone has actually said that they block AIOE users at the User-Agent level.

AIOE is one of the most restrictive NNTP server's around. You can't cross-post to more than 3 groups, some hierarchies are prohibited from being cross-posted between, some groups are prohibited from being cross-posted to at all (almost anything pertaining to politics or scorched-earth). Anything posted by AIOE users is checked by URIBL for "banned" domains (prevents spammers from posting website URLS known to be commercial/spammy).

If you want to see true usenet abuse - google itself is legendary for allowing anyone to post anything, and is the spammer's choice for posting garbage (both commercial, fraudulent/phishing and malicious/malware).

Well maybe it's time to learn and understand the truth about AIOE and stop spreading FUD about it. For all it's restrictions (which I occasionally and unknowingly bump up against) I use it exclusively because no prior registration is required.

Reply to
HomeGuy