Lowes Express is Kaput

Lowes opened their Lowes Express here in NJ as an experiment about 4 or 5 years ago. They just closed it. It was a smaller, neighborhood version of Lowes, similar to a big hardware store. It went into what used to be a good size supermarket. They had paint, common lumber, electrical stuff, garden supplies, barbecues, limited appliances, etc. Sadly it didn't do enough business. I was always surprised at how few people there were in it. Basically one checkout open and hardly anyone ahead of you there. So, I guess they won't be opening any more of them. Unfortunate because it was convenient and you could also get stuff shipped for store pickup to there, return stuff from other Lowes, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Sounds like Sears Hardware, also defunct.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Do you agree with Ms. Kavtaradze that the selection of actual hardware items was limited?

DerbyDad03

IDK, there was a reasonable amount of typical hardware stuff. For example, they had a good assortment of screws and fasteners, including the section with the gray slide out drawers with specialty fasteners and individual metric bolts, nuts etc. They had PVC plumbing fittings for example, toilet parts. They had common tools. They didn't have a full garden center, but they did have fetilizer, pesticides, seed, that kind of stuff.

I think she's right though that they did waste floor space on appliances. It made no sense to me, because it was still a very limited selection. If someone is going to buy a fridge or dishwasher, why would they but it somewhere where you can only see a limited selection? The real Lowes stores are about 12 miles away north or south. Plus HD about the same distance. I thought maybe they figured that shore rental property people and such might want a basic one, but I think even they like to go somewhere where they can find a cheap one from a bigger selection, etc. I think they also were selling kitchen cabinets, same thing there, I'd just go to the real store, as driving isn't an issue when it comes to that kind of purchase. I went to this Express for paint, bolts, drywall compound, that kind of thing. With something like lighting they had more than what you;d find in the local hardware store, (which is close to zero), but nowhwere near the selection of the full Lowes. If I needed a basic fixture for a basement or some other common electrical item, eg a 3 way switch, Romex, or a basic recessed LED, I'd go there. But if I needed a fashionable fixture or a panel, then I go to the big store, because of the choices for the former, and they didn't have the latter at the Express.

Reply to
trader_4

I thought I read someplace that the store was set up sort of in response to Sandy. If that's the case, then maybe "the basics" were good enough for someone just trying to get their house back together ASAP.

Dunno...just schpeculatin'

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It opened about 9 months after Sandy. I think that angle is some marketing BS. If you needed tarps and cleaning supplies, it was way too late. If you needed real building repair stuff, eg shingles, siding, 2x8's they didn't have it.

Reply to
trader_4