Lowe's Lousy Inventory

Page 4 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@yaSPAMhoo.com (Jon Danniken) says...

Since I speak both English and Spanish, that would be helpful to me, in that I can brush up on my building supply vocabulary in Spanish. Unfortunately, the local Lowes is all English, though it was only built about 5 years ago.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

That surprises me. I've been to Lowe's in about five states (north and south) over the last couple of years (while visiting relatives, and being drafted to help with projects), and every single one had the English/Spanish signs. I assumed it was chain-wide.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote: [...]

I think you are right, it is chain-wide.
What seems odd to me is why there is no outcry about "profiling" - I mean, I would expect stores operating in the US where English is the predominant language to use English for their signs, but why target Mexicans as the "other" shoppers? - that's profiling, plain & simple. What about Austrian speaking peoples? ("Austrian language" as being recently discovered by our president).
AL
AL wrote:

The city I live in, Fremont, CA., has over 60 languages and dialects present. There wouldn't be any room for merchandise if they had to provide signage for all. Big Grin. I don't even register on the other language signs anymore. I see the ones I understand and that's about it.

Are all the Fremont street signs printed in 60 languages too? Or, is it required to read English to get a driver's license?
Phisherman wrote:

ISTR that in So. Cal. about 30 years ago one could take the driver's license test in any one of a whole list of languages. Isn't the whole point of "iconic" (pictorial) street signs that one does not need to be able to read any particular language?
One of the things that struck me when I returned to Australia after living in California for a few years was that in Australian phone booths the full instructions were in English on one side of the notice, while on the other side was something like "For instructions in <language> dial <number>" in ten or a dozen different languages, each language having its own dedicated number.
The younger generation will normally become fluent in English as long as the education system is working OK, and their kids probably will know little or nothing of their grandparents' mother tongue. There's no need for draconian measures to stamp out all but English.
Perce
Larry Caldwell wrote:

We had a Lowes that was about 10 years old. They built a newer one a little ways away where they could make it bigger (and by chance be right across the road from where Home Depot was putting in a store). The new Lowes had the bilingual signs. My guess is that they're made in bulk -- and shipped to the stores as needed.
I was very happy to have the large Spanish speaking population in Texas when I was there -- made it much easier to find good Mexican food than where I live now. I also see no reason to blame the people who are providing cheap labor to corporate America right here in the USA. It saves them the cost of shipping those jobs overseas and increases shareholder equity.
--
No patriarchal institution has acquired greater legal
entitlement than has the giant corporation. When We

I hear that. Same happened here. Our local hardware/building supply/general store lost the race as well. I have one place that is quite old (built in 1870 and updated through the years). I could always buy a matching plumbing fitting etc. from Ray's. Now a simple project like fixing a leaking faucet can easily become a major (and expensive) retrofit because nobody around here carries that stuff anymore. Not to mention Ray and/or his son knew how to fix just about anything, whereas now I feel lucky if the help can tell me what row I might find something in.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

They are locally managed. Try another store or Home Depot.

The Lowes here has no lumber over 10 feet long, so I have little reason to ever go to Lowes.
The Lowes here has no lumber over 10 feet long, so I have little reason to ever go to Lowes.
Are you saying it is available in longer lengths? Crap, I just built a new house and it is 10' by 200'.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

That's just one of the reasons I try to give my business to a locally owned retail. We have electrical and plumbing supply dealers as well as a local building supply store that delivers things too big for my vehicle at no extra cost within a day or two. Sid's hardware store is open on Sunday and has a very good inventory of electrical and plumbing parts -- enough to handle anything I'd actually need on a Sunday emergency. For electrical stuff I don't feel comfortable doing myself there are Charlie and Gil (Charlie also runs network cables) and for plumbing there's Rolf all of whom tend to have an amazing supply of items in their possession on a daily basis.
LowesDepot is for looking around and getting ideas.
--
Always remember that it is impossible to speak in such
a way that you cannot be misunderstood: there will always