Lowe's Lousy Inventory

The city I live in, Fremont, CA., has over 60 languages and dialects present. There wouldn't be any room for merchandise if they had to provide signage for all. Big Grin. I don't even register on the other language signs anymore. I see the ones I understand and that's about it.

Reply to
Doug

Are all the Fremont street signs printed in 60 languages too? Or, is it required to read English to get a driver's license?

Reply to
Phisherman

ISTR that in So. Cal. about 30 years ago one could take the driver's license test in any one of a whole list of languages. Isn't the whole point of "iconic" (pictorial) street signs that one does not need to be able to read any particular language?

One of the things that struck me when I returned to Australia after living in California for a few years was that in Australian phone booths the full instructions were in English on one side of the notice, while on the other side was something like "For instructions in dial " in ten or a dozen different languages, each language having its own dedicated number.

The younger generation will normally become fluent in English as long as the education system is working OK, and their kids probably will know little or nothing of their grandparents' mother tongue. There's no need for draconian measures to stamp out all but English.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

[....]

this is america because people from europe got off the boat and wasted no time learning the languages of the indigenous people of this continent. instead they set about the task of raping murdering and committing general genocide against those indigenous people for the purpose of stealing their lands so as to craft a nation of their own liking. so yes now we have america, a land of liars, thieves, fornicators, idolaters and covetous extortioners whose primary concern focuses explicitly on their own needs.

you mention my saviour and all the unbelievers come out of the woodwork to put forth their ridicule. so I stop and remember God loves unbelievers too.

Reply to
Jim

I didn't write the paragraph to which you responded.

Reply to
salty

North America is a continent. The predominant language of North America is English. Mexico and Central and South America are also part of the Americas and the language spoken there is predominantly Spanish. Mexicans and South and Central Americans are speaking "American" too, just not the language you happen to prefer. They are here to stay, and their kids are learning to speak fluent English. In a generation or two they will assimilate just as people of other nationalities have. My Italian great grandmother never learned English even though she lived here for over 20 years. My grandmother was fluent in Italian and English and My father could understand Italian and German, but was only fluent in English. I can recognize a few words of Italian, only because I took a latin based language in grade school: Spanish. It doesn't hurt to broaden your horizons a bit and learn a little bit of another language. You may be surprised at how well it will serve you some day. America is a melting pot, people who come here do eventually learn the language, it doesn't happen immediately, it sometimes takes a generation or two, but eventually they assimilate.

Reply to
Grizzly

I'm well aware of that because the attributes make it clearly obvious to me who wrote what and in what order they were written.

Reply to
Jim

The version of English spoken in the USA, I call American. Of course, there are regional accents and word usage within the Americn language.

Some politicians have changed the USA from "melting pot" to "salad bowl" where communities refuse to blend in. I think that's a shame.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You did it wrong and made it look as if I wrote that. Please learn to attribute correctly.

Reply to
salty

The Lowes here has no lumber over 10 feet long, so I have little reason to ever go to Lowes.

Reply to
windcrest

da

Menards is a killer store, great prices, every length and type of lumber imaginable, whole house kits, garage kits, shed kits, very complete departments in all the other building and decorating trades.... And you can fit 2 HD's and 2 Lowes stores inside the Menards around here. Farm and Fleet is pretty good too, if I cant find something anywhere else F and F will often have it.

Reply to
windcrest

That's just one of the reasons I try to give my business to a locally owned retail. We have electrical and plumbing supply dealers as well as a local building supply store that delivers things too big for my vehicle at no extra cost within a day or two. Sid's hardware store is open on Sunday and has a very good inventory of electrical and plumbing parts -- enough to handle anything I'd actually need on a Sunday emergency. For electrical stuff I don't feel comfortable doing myself there are Charlie and Gil (Charlie also runs network cables) and for plumbing there's Rolf all of whom tend to have an amazing supply of items in their possession on a daily basis.

LowesDepot is for looking around and getting ideas.

Reply to
Elmo

I think the problem is that when you start getting the indents too deep you may be responding to a paragraph written earlier in the thread but your software just thinks that the actual post is the one that said it.

I made the same mistake last week -- much to my chagrin.

Reply to
Elmo

We had a Lowes that was about 10 years old. They built a newer one a little ways away where they could make it bigger (and by chance be right across the road from where Home Depot was putting in a store). The new Lowes had the bilingual signs. My guess is that they're made in bulk -- and shipped to the stores as needed.

I was very happy to have the large Spanish speaking population in Texas when I was there -- made it much easier to find good Mexican food than where I live now. I also see no reason to blame the people who are providing cheap labor to corporate America right here in the USA. It saves them the cost of shipping those jobs overseas and increases shareholder equity.

Reply to
Elmo

The exact problem is that he posted my name followed by someone else's words.

Reply to
salty

There is almost never a need to quote past two levels of attribution.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

My mother's parents spoke German at home until WWI, when it became dangerous to speak German. Their church switched to English services at the same time. And yes, both of them were born in America.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

While I would agree, there is a school of thought that runs contrary to my bandwidth conservation approach and insists on quoting the entire previous post in all its glory regardless of any appeals to sanity. I think it was started by a top-posting, cross-posting [your epithet of choice here].

Reply to
Elmo

That's what happened to the Pennsylvania Dutch speakers in my area. This was a group distinct from the Amish (who still use a dialect of German) who continued to speak "Dutch" until the same time. There are remnants in the local dialect of English which eschews the use of "to be". Instead of saying something "needs to be done" it simply "needs done". Also the use of "let" and "leave" such that when the dog is inside and needs to go outside you "leave the dog out" while when the dog is already outside and you wish it to remain there then you "let the dog out". And as I have said many times, if John Lennon had been born around here the song title would have been "Leave it Be".

Reply to
Elmo

If I have to scroll past more than two screens before I see any added content, I plonk the sender and move on.

Reply to
AZ Nomad