Lowe's is terrible, I hope someone here can help

Page 4 of 4
On 3 Mar 2005 05:29:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribbled this interesting note:

I kind of figured that to begin with.

Please do. And remember to let us know if that extra 1/4" was really needed!:~)
John Willis wrote:

is
I'm not sure he ever said the non-standard was the height or width.
79 1/4" sounds more like the height, 3/4" short of standard. Some doors may also come standard as 78", so then we'd be talking about an extra 1 1/4". Either way, not an extra 1/4", and perhaps a bit more than trivial to make the door fit the frame.
%mod%
On 3 Mar 2005 10:52:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net scribbled this interesting note:

Not entirely correct. Just to be sure, I went and measured my front door, which is a metal door with a half moon light in the top. It is exactly 79" and the opening, from the threshold to the top of the frame, is exactly 79 1/4". This is why I believe the person who came out to measure this poor man's door measured the opening and failed to understand that every door requires a little bit of clearance all the way around it in order to open and shut correctly.
John Willis wrote:
doors

extra 1

So I got out my tape measure, and...
As it turns out, my Pella front door, which I recently replaced with side lites as a complete framed unit, is 79" as well. It apparently has a bigger threshold and frame than the old one it replaced. The old door had been 80", but it was 45 years old does not necessarily represent the norm. Of course when I replaced the framed entryway all I really cared about was the rough opening.
So the situation remains quite interesting, and now I too wonder if his door will fit...
%mod%
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...>

Good for you, phone calls to the corp office usually work.
In the future I would recommend never placing a special/custom order form any of the box/chain stores. They are merchandisers .... they sell what is on the shelf and that's about it. If it is on the shelf and you like it buy it .... other wise go to a smaller specialty store.
interesting note:

There is another rule of thumb that goes along with this good bit of advice: If, while in a big box store, you feel the need to ask a question of the hired help, then you are almost always better off just leaving and going to a real store.
On 2 Mar 2005 09:39:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's no help to you in your current situation but for the future (in case you or anybody else needs a quality, custom, solid-core door), I use www.interiordoors.com. These folks have great prices, lots of different styles and were a pleasure to work with. Construction was immaculate... all m&t hardwood with nice grain and color matching. Delivery was on-time and the doors were well protected from shipping damage.
I have no connection with them. But if a vendor does a good job I want to share them, especially given the ridiculous prices and delivery times I got from others. I was actually so fed up that I'd already bought the mortising attachment for my drill press and was going to build the five-panel oak doors myself until I stumbled on their website.
Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
John Harlow wrote:

Now you've gone and done it.

Those who know me expect no less! ;^)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As a former Lowes employee, let me assure you that the corporate executives ARE a problem, not a solution for a problem. Almost every bad experience you have with a local store can be directly traced back to corporate policy strictly enforced on local store managers. They are little more than string puppets for the executive offices. And that has a direct bearing on Lowes 85% employee turnover rate.
Bob S.
Bob S. wrote:

Often grumbled by me as, "A fish rots from the head down."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
<< "A fish rots from the head down." >>
Is that true?? Jeez, that's nasty.
See if you can replace the order with a standard in-stock door, then shim the opening. Good luck.
Go to your local library. Ask the reference desk for Lowe's HQ address and the company's Pres. or CEO. Write a carefully composed businesslike letter. Include a copy of your order. Politely, tell him what you want Lowe's to do. Be sure to include your address. Mail it to his attention.
It doesn't matter if he gets it or if his secretary intercepts it. That is what she is paid to do. If she is worth her salary, she will buck it down the line with a note that this is from the Boss-in-Chief.
Trust me it will get results. I know that the conventional wisdom is to work your way up the chain. OK for the military. In the business world "Shit Flows Downhill" is the axiom of the day.
I have had several occasions to use this technique and it has never failed. Don't fuss and fume. Remember who you are sending the letter to.
Good luck, Charlie
etc.?

I found that the busiest Lowe's in the Phoenix area was terrible. Their employees were as dumb and ignorant as those at Best Buy, they made tons of pricing mistakes, and the general manager was an idiot, except for his ability to look people straight in the eye and tell them outright lies and "assure" them that everything would be taken care of. But I wish him good luck in prison.
I called the 1-800-44-LOWES customer service number a few times, but the corporation only pretended to gave a damn.
It's too bad that Lowe's was like that because they're located almost across the street from me, but fortunately there's a Home Depot only 1/4 mile away and, even better, a real hardware store only a little farther away.