Lowe's is terrible, I hope someone here can help

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If it's been that long and they can't/won't get a commitment, I'd simply write a cancellation notice and make sure it was mailed/receipt required to the store manager (after discussing the issue w/ him, of course). Hopefully you placed the order on a charge card as that will make contesting a charge simpler.
Going to corporate will probably no help much until you've <formally> exhausted your avenues w/ local store although getting the regional manager involved will probably help.

Did you use a credit card? If so, maybe you can contact the card issuer and file a fraud complaint - goods not received.

Seems like a legitimate complaint. Failure to deliver is a legitimate problem. You can also try the credit card company if you used one, or small claims court. Six weeks would not be unusual, but 6 MONTHS sure is a reason to bitch. Ed
Pella is good for custom door sizes. By the way, are you really sure you needed a 70 1/4 inch door? We replaced a lot of doors in my house and they are put in all different ways but all are standard. Are you replacing the frame too or just the door?

A special order is still a contract. Your state will have laws to protect you but I don't know how long they have to fulfill that contract. I'm sure a small claims suit will shake them up but it may not be worth the trouble.
Try complaining to the vendor who is making the door for Lowes. Explain how Lowes has misrepresented their product line and in the process has made an unhappy customer on their behalf. You may be able to get to a symapthetic sales rep who will find out what is really going on with your door and give you a realistic delivery date.
I feel for you. I recently had to wait an extra 90 days for delivery of my paving stones beyond the promise date. I was walking on base rock and sand for 3 months longer than I would have liked.
Good luck

Thank you for all the replies I will try to address some of you the best I can.
1-I did pay with a CC but they are claiming it is beyond the point I can dispute it.
2-Door being 70 ; I did not measure it the Lowe's installer did (On July 29th 2004) so I can only guess that's what he needed. Not replacing the frame just the door!
3- Complaining to the vendor; A) they are pretty much blaming all the delays on the vendor. B) They will not tell me who the vendor is they are buying it from. The book I ordered the door from is very generic and I don't remember seeing their name listed.
4- My letter to Board members is not written in a mean or accusatory fashion, it's basically a cry for help
5- I ran a D & B on Lowe's so I have all the corporate officers I was still hoping to get an email address or two.
6- The manager has been no help, he basically paid me off last month to continue to wait, gave me back the cost of the door ands promised a resolution in 7 days. It's now 40 days later. Mind you he could have kept that damn freaking money I just want my door!
7- Put a strip of wood to make up the difference; You'd think that Lowe's would think of something like that. I'm not a carpenter so I would never have but that a good idea!
8-All the letters will go out certified return receipt requested mail. This way I know they got them.
When it comes down to it I'm only out a small bit of money but the headaches this has cause me will really make me think twice about special orders from Lowe's. While I will continue to shop there and do not want to turn this into a trash Lowe's tread, I will shop elsewhere for special orders.
I will keep all posted on the outcome,
Felix
AutoTracer wrote:

Geez I would have just used a saddle or something to make up the difference. If its that much of a bitch i'd just replace the whole damn thing.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Who's claiming that? The credit card company? I suppose technically that may be true that you had to file a complaint on the first invoice to get the full benefit of the consumer credit liability laws, but I'd not let them off that easily. Although, of course, since it is Lowe's that hasn't delivered and has the money, you should expect either delivery on the promised goods or a <prompt> refund if they're not going to deliver.
Of course, w/ the promise of 50% off, your most cost-effective route will be to hope they will deliver, but that's sounding unlikely.
I'd sure look at that existing door and the frame and see if it seemed like that extra quarter of an inch is really mandatory.
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:32:33 -0600, Duane Bozarth

You know it isn't. They sent a rep of some sort out who didn't know what he or she was doing and this individual most likely measured the opening instead of figuring out what the door needed to be. It will be quite a sight when the door finally is delivered and it has to be cut down in order to fit correctly and then this home owner will really be quite irritated!
That is my prediction and I'm sticking with it. I'd like it if the original poster kept the 'group informed of the progress of this little escapade. I want to know if this actually happens!:~)
scribbled this interesting note:

what are you going to say when you find out the door in question is metal?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:18:08 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Oh, I already read that part. If it is metal skin that is laminated onto a wood substrate, that can be cut, if it has to be. Otherwise, Lowes needs to get ready to take it back and deliver a standard door!
"John Willis" <

What's even more sad is that he was quoted several 1000 for a replacement door assy w/ sidelites. I recently bought a nice full steel door assy with panels, 2 12" sidelites, and a little half moon glass window. It's cheap, but it's a really nice door - for 50 bucks more than he's paying for a boring flat, blank custom steel door. Mine was just a Stanley steel door special ordered from Home Despot. $550 delivered. I painted it, as suggested, and it's a fine looking thing. A good installer could have had his old assy sawed out and the new one installed in probably less than 2 hours.
One of my recurring rules of thumb for home improvement - If it seems complicated or overly expensive, you are almost certainly going about it all wrong. Best to get more than one opinion on some things.
BTW - he needs to carefully read his special order contract before crying like a baby to a bunch of people who already know exactly what it says. Thereafter, the CC company will generally refund if the terms haven't been honored. Best to negotiate with someone at Lowes for resolution, but not while crying. Or - plan C - small claims court is probably the only other option.
- Nate
If the installer who measured it is too stupid to figure out how to compensate for the 1/4 inch you DO NOT want him working on your house.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:49:29 GMT, "Art"

Problem is, all too often, the person who did the measuring is not the person doing the installing...

I have to admit, 70 feet is pretty damn special.
On 2 Mar 2005 09:39:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm surprised that this has gotten by 30 posts without comment. 70" is 5'10". I'm a little height challenged, so I'd be able to pass, but a lot of my friends would end up with a helluva crease in their foreheads. Maybe you're building something for that very funny Geico commercial? (The fake reality show "Tiny House")
So I'm guessing you mean 80" as the standard and you wanted 80-1/4". That's still awfully close to the standard size that you could get for a lot less money. I'm assuming that you have an existing doorway that you absolutely can't modify, even with a slightly different sadlle?
Greg Guarino
Boy you can take a beating here if you make a mistake, the door size is 79 1/4 not 70 1/4 sorry!
Also let me point out I'm far from being a crybaby! 7 months for a door slab is just CRAZY! I think I've been more then patient with them, it's not time to get some answers.
Here is the latest:
I contact the corporate office via phone yesterday and asked to speak with Robert Niblock the President with the full knowledge that at best I'd speak with his administrator, which is exactly what happened.
I explained the situation to her and faxed her over a detailed summary of the over 70 calls & 20 visits to Lowe's about my door along with other issues and things I've been told.
Low & behold last night at 6pm I received a call from the "new" store sales manager who was so surprised to hear of this problem I have. Mine you I have never talked to him before so I have to assume he is new to the store. He stated he was contacted by corporate to resolve my problem ASAP. Now get this he said they have the door in the store (I asked for how long he refused to answer) even though 8 hours earlier I was told the door was still not in and they have no idea when it will be. He went on to say that within 1 hour I would hear from an installer on a date they can come a install the door. Well guess what over the next hour I got 3 different Lowe's installers calling me to install the door. So as of now they are set up for this Monday at 12.
At this point I will be holding off the letter I wrote to corporate but will be sending a revise one if the install goes well about all the problems and lies I've been told by the store employees.
I will keep everybody posted on the progress, Felix
No Greg G wrote:

Check my earlier post. I had you writing rather than calling. But my advice was to start at the top and let the crap flow down hill. I am glad to see that going that route was successful and will watch to see how the installation goes.
Charlie

It's the nature of usenet. I am actually surprised how relatively civil this thread has stayed. By now it usually deteriorates into Microsoft bashing.
Sounds like they have inventory problems over there. Oh well at least what you want is in. Most likely for the last 5-6 months.... Hope the install goes well!