Lowe's is terrible, I hope someone here can help

Boy you can take a beating here if you make a mistake, the door size is

79 1/4 not 70 1/4 sorry!

Also let me point out I'm far from being a crybaby! 7 months for a door slab is just CRAZY! I think I've been more then patient with them, it's not time to get some answers.

Here is the latest:

I contact the corporate office via phone yesterday and asked to speak with Robert Niblock the President with the full knowledge that at best I'd speak with his administrator, which is exactly what happened.

I explained the situation to her and faxed her over a detailed summary of the over 70 calls & 20 visits to Lowe's about my door along with other issues and things I've been told.

Low & behold last night at 6pm I received a call from the "new" store sales manager who was so surprised to hear of this problem I have. Mine you I have never talked to him before so I have to assume he is new to the store. He stated he was contacted by corporate to resolve my problem ASAP. Now get this he said they have the door in the store (I asked for how long he refused to answer) even though 8 hours earlier I was told the door was still not in and they have no idea when it will be. He went on to say that within 1 hour I would hear from an installer on a date they can come a install the door. Well guess what over the next hour I got 3 different Lowe's installers calling me to install the door. So as of now they are set up for this Monday at 12.

At this point I will be holding off the letter I wrote to corporate but will be sending a revise one if the install goes well about all the problems and lies I've been told by the store employees.

I will keep everybody posted on the progress, Felix

No Greg G wrote:

Reply to
fk89

Check my earlier post. I had you writing rather than calling. But my advice was to start at the top and let the crap flow down hill. I am glad to see that going that route was successful and will watch to see how the installation goes.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

It's the nature of usenet. I am actually surprised how relatively civil this thread has stayed. By now it usually deteriorates into Microsoft bashing.

Reply to
John Harlow

It's no help to you in your current situation but for the future (in case you or anybody else needs a quality, custom, solid-core door), I use

These folks have great prices, lots of different styles and were a pleasure to work with. Construction was immaculate... all m&t hardwood with nice grain and color matching. Delivery was on-time and the doors were well protected from shipping damage.

I have no connection with them. But if a vendor does a good job I want to share them, especially given the ridiculous prices and delivery times I got from others. I was actually so fed up that I'd already bought the mortising attachment for my drill press and was going to build the five-panel oak doors myself until I stumbled on their website.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

summary

80-1/4".
Reply to
Sexytom976

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote: ...

Need to keep up... :)

He posted that his phone call to HQ resulted in overnight action...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On 3 Mar 2005 05:29:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribbled this interesting note:

I kind of figured that to begin with.

Please do. And remember to let us know if that extra 1/4" was really needed!:~)

John Willis

Is that true?? Jeez, that's nasty.

See if you can replace the order with a standard in-stock door, then shim the opening. Good luck.

Reply to
Dee

I'm not sure he ever said the non-standard was the height or width.

79 1/4" sounds more like the height, 3/4" short of standard. Some doors may also come standard as 78", so then we'd be talking about an extra 1 1/4". Either way, not an extra 1/4", and perhaps a bit more than trivial to make the door fit the frame.

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

During our remodel, we ordered a special bathtub faucet & spout from HD. When, 90 days later, we still hadn't received the fixture, we cancelled the order and went to an appointment-only bath design showroom. They had part of the fixture in stock (the most important part, the valve) and the rest shipped to us in 7 days, and it was $49 cheaper than the HD model.

-Frank

Reply to
chibiabos

On 3 Mar 2005 10:52:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net scribbled this interesting note:

Not entirely correct. Just to be sure, I went and measured my front door, which is a metal door with a half moon light in the top. It is exactly 79" and the opening, from the threshold to the top of the frame, is exactly 79 1/4". This is why I believe the person who came out to measure this poor man's door measured the opening and failed to understand that every door requires a little bit of clearance all the way around it in order to open and shut correctly.

John Willis

So I got out my tape measure, and...

As it turns out, my Pella front door, which I recently replaced with side lites as a complete framed unit, is 79" as well. It apparently has a bigger threshold and frame than the old one it replaced. The old door had been 80", but it was 45 years old does not necessarily represent the norm. Of course when I replaced the framed entryway all I really cared about was the rough opening.

So the situation remains quite interesting, and now I too wonder if his door will fit...

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...>

Good for you, phone calls to the corp office usually work.

In the future I would recommend never placing a special/custom order form any of the box/chain stores. They are merchandisers .... they sell what is on the shelf and that's about it. If it is on the shelf and you like it buy it .... other wise go to a smaller specialty store.

Reply to
MikeP

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:56:55 GMT, MikeP scribbled this interesting note:

There is another rule of thumb that goes along with this good bit of advice: If, while in a big box store, you feel the need to ask a question of the hired help, then you are almost always better off just leaving and going to a real store.

John Willis

Good vendors won't charge your card before shipping the product, but I am not aware of any law that prevents that obnoxious practice. That is particulary true with special orders.

Reply to
Greg

The law was intended for mail-order firms that were taking the money and not delivering on a timely basis. Special orders often require a deposit of cash or CC to insure you will not cancel and stick the company with a special item they cannot sell otherwise.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

checking

I sell all my coffee mail order and use a national merchant card service. There is nothing that says you cannot charge before the product is sent, ostensibly to be sure the card is good and not being used from a place near the graveyard in Nigeria. I ran that card through my system after I seriously got that as a shipping address for an order and of course, the card was bogus.

--And to be fair, I do know some people who do not send until the charge has gone through.

As a former poster said, I personally do not charge until the product is in the mail, sometimes even days later cuz I am the whole office:) staff. I hate to say this out loud and test the karma, but we have never been ripped off, thank you universe.

with aloha, Cea smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

don't some credit card companies make this be part of their contract with the merchant?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

As far as I am aware, all of the major credit card companies have a system where the merchant can verify credit, and reserve a reasonable amount to cover anticipated charges yet to be made. This isn't some "hidden" feature.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

being

product

office:)

Yes, you are correct. My card company has as an option. But you have to fill it all out and unless you are suspicious as I was with the Nigeria order, it is extra work to an office staff of one person, because when you actually charge the card you have to be careful to only do the step after .

OT--I am a little wary of my merchant service, with my dubious electrical connection because two times in the last 5 years, the electricity has apparently wavered and I have double charged my customers and didn't know it. Oh well, once I am in that charge card software, I want to do it once only. FYI I live at the end of an electricity line in a very rural area.