low well water pressure

today we discovered that the pressure in the tank will not get above 20lbs of pressure. one flush and there's not enough pressure to fill a glass of water. i closed the system at the main valve past the pressure tank and killed the power to the pump-the gage stayed at 20lbs for over 15 minutes so i don't think i have a leak anywhere underground, but the pump continues to run even with the the valve past the pressure tank is closed and the gage stays at 20lbs. i tried to adjust the pressure switch to see if i could stop the pump that way(using a electic test meter on the switch--but had no luck) the well should be fine we are not in a dry area and have had plenty of rain this spring
is my pump going???
cmac01 wrote:>oday we discovered that the pressure in the tank will not get above

That, or possibly the supply pipe 'tween the pump and the check valve has a hole. There should be a check valve before the tank, which would explain why you didn't lose pressure in your first test. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote in message

The only check valve in my system is the one on the pump. If I understand the OP, the pump is running constantly and was running during his test. I suggest re-doing the test while pulling the power to the pump. If no pressure drop, no leaks. My guess is one of two: One massive leak or the pump isn't going, it has gone.
Harry K