low well water pressure

today we discovered that the pressure in the tank will not get above

20lbs of pressure. one flush and there's not enough pressure to fill a glass of water. i closed the system at the main valve past the pressure tank and killed the power to the pump-the gage stayed at 20lbs for over 15 minutes so i don't think i have a leak anywhere underground, but the pump continues to run even with the the valve past the pressure tank is closed and the gage stays at 20lbs. i tried to adjust the pressure switch to see if i could stop the pump that way(using a electic test meter on the switch--but had no luck) the well should be fine we are not in a dry area and have had plenty of rain this spring

is my pump going???

Reply to
carl mac

cmac01 wrote:>oday we discovered that the pressure in the tank will not get above

That, or possibly the supply pipe 'tween the pump and the check valve has a hole. There should be a check valve before the tank, which would explain why you didn't lose pressure in your first test. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

The only check valve in my system is the one on the pump. If I understand the OP, the pump is running constantly and was running during his test. I suggest re-doing the test while pulling the power to the pump. If no pressure drop, no leaks. My guess is one of two: One massive leak or the pump isn't going, it has gone.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K