Low water pressure after watersofener

I have a watersofener from kenmore , I have noticed my water pressure has not been very good so I increased the pressure to 65psi on my water system this still did not help the problem. I went to the basement and pushed on the bypass at the watersofener and now I have great water pressure. The watersofener is only about 7 years old, do you have any idea what is causing the problem is with the softener?

Reply to
john

Any filter or water treatment device will decrease flow. Did this just start happening? I know softeners have a limited life, however, I used to have one that was 3 or 4 times as old and seemed to be still working when the town decided to change us from well water to Lake Michigan water, at which time I removed the softener. But, at that time, I didn't notice any increase in flow or pressure. In that house, you never wanted to flush or run the washer or dishwasher when someone was showing ... it was like the Simpson's clip where Bart kept doing it and Homer was in the shower; too hot, too cold, too hot ... But in my present house, there is a regulator set to about 65 PSI and you can run water anywhere and not affect the shower. BTW, both houses had pressure balanced shower valves.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Were/are there any strainers built into the connectors to the water saftene r. They tend to clog over a long period of time, and in a short period of time if there is a fault in the supply and some crud gets into the water su pply. I would take apart all the various connections to and from the softe ner, flush, and then see how the pressure is.

Reply to
hrhofmann

There are a few possibilities. A strainer clogged, a valve passage clogged, resin getting loose in the system. If you have the manual and are not afraid to check things, go for it. Otherwise, have a serviceman check it out. Expect to pay $75 to $150 depending on the actual problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's perfectly clear that soft water will not push as hard as hard water. That's why girls can't box well

Reply to
micky

Usually the head unscrews from the tank and you can pull it out. There is a strainer on the bottom of the pipes. A water softener place can sell you a new charge of resin beads if they are contaminated. It was $100 a cu ft the last time I did it but that was a while ago.

Reply to
gfretwell