Low volume toilets

Page 1 of 2

I caught a sliver of a program this afternoon on HGTV (Home and Garden TV), where the lib was touting that the house for sale had a low volume toilet, using 1/6 the water of a regular toilet.
Immediately, I am in a dilemma, and enraged.
I am in a dilemma, because everything downstream now has less water to live on, and everything upstream is up to its gills in water. Where does all that extra water go, and what in the world does using less water to flush a toilet have to do with anything.
And then, I think of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.
Do you think either of them shop around when needing to take a dump and look for a low volume high efficiency toilet? I don't think so. And what if it is one of those bad ones that use two rolls of toilet paper, a can of air freshener, and an hour and a half just to clear the bathroom so the next person can go in there without a gas mask?
Or one of those logs that doesn't require a single square of toilet paper, but a coathanger to break apart so you can flush the toilet six times to get rid of it? My brother Randy was like that. Had a special coat hanger hanging there so he could break up the logs. Never used a square of toilet paper, though.
I mean, where is all this economy in flushing toilets going? I personally don't flush my toilet until morning, after using it several times during the night, along with SWMBO, as long as it's just #1. If it's a #2, flush away, and who cares who you wake up.
But all this falderal about saving water on flushes. What a bunch of bullcrap, especially when the ones at the top who are so full of it in the first place don't give one whit about how many gallons it takes to get THEIR stinky mess as far away from them as they want a bad speech.
Oh, Mildred, I had a wonderful day at work today. I foreclosed on two families, I repossessed three cars, and I saved six gallons of water using a low volume toilet. And how was YOUR day?
Oh, fine, honey. I beat the snot out of little Johnnie for using a curse word, I grounded Tessie for texting without permission, and I let all my waste build up until I thought it would backfire back out through the toilet, but luckily, I have the new Obama low volume toilet that allows for huge amounts of crap to be passed through a small opening with no problem.
I'm so proud. How about you? We saved 3.6 gallons of water today.
Steve

The idea behind the low volume toilet is that you pay the plumber instead of the department of water who can jack up their prices as much as they want anyway since theyre a monopoly. The plumbers wife has more money to spend on Chinese junk at Walmart which breaks down every year and has to be replaced and everybody is happy.

The idea behind the low volume toilet is that you pay the plumber instead of the department of water who can jack up their prices as much as they want anyway since theyre a monopoly. The plumbers wife has more money to spend on Chinese junk at Walmart which breaks down every year and has to be replaced and everybody is happy.
For homes in the desert it MAY make sense but most places it's just feel good LIBERAL MOON BAT BS..They are obsessed with their enviro religion and the worship of Gaia..Almost as obsessed as those who suffer with WDS (Wal-Mart Derangement Syndrome) and blame them for all the worlds ills and feel the need to bring them into every conversation , even about toilets.....Not to be confused with BDS(Bush Derangement Syndrome)...

Steve B wrote:

Two things to bear in mind:
1. Water can be created by burning Hydrogen in the presence of Oxygen. ALL other water is "used" water. The water you drink was probably toilet water sometime in the past.
2. Carrying on with your political concern, this just shows how conflicted our government is. As you rightly point out, there is agitation to use less water in the mandating of low-flow toilets.
Meanwhile, there is a companion effort in Washington to encourage us to eat more vegetables. Vegetables, in the main, generate "floaters" which require more flushes in low-flow toilets to accomplish the desired result.
This is not the only instance of two government agencies working to destroy the efforts of each other. We, meanwhile, don't know whether to crap or eat a carrot.
I, personally, prefer to return to a simpler time:
In days of old, when knights were bold, Before toilets were invented, They dumped their load, Beside the road, And went their way contented.

Most of the time when I find a problem with the new lower flush it is old plumbing to blame , if it is an early version of low flush it is the humane to blame . 25 yrs in the trade so I know what I see.

The first swipe at low flow was a disaster. I have a kohler one piece Kohler we call the #1 toilet because any decent #2 will plug it but the new Toto, wall hanger we have would flush a small child.
I do agree with those who say we will run out of clean water long before we run out of oil. The North East does not understand that but if you live in the south or the west you can see your lakes running dry, static water levels in your wells dropping and some wells just stop producing altogether.

Like I said it may be a good idea for some areas..But to MANDATE them for everybody is BS...Me saving a couple of gallons of water here in Maine that would other wise run into the Atlantic will do absolutely nothing to help those experiencing a drought or live in the desert...We will never run out of fresh water...Some areas may get more rain while others get less , but unless it stops raining world wide we will not run out...It doesn't go anywhere , it all stays here on the Earth...Unless aliens are stealing it...LOL...
benick wrote:

enough, it is a matter of the people being in the wrong place. Every ecosystem has a carrying capacity. In a desert, the limit on that is usually set by water. Aquifers may fill at the rate of a fraction of an inch per year. Man, in his arrogance, plunks a city down there, and in less than a century, pretty much drains an aquifer that took 10,000 years to fill. Can you say Duh?.
No, I don't want my tax money spent to pipe the Great Lakes to the Desert Southwest. Start a reverse colonization of some of the old abandoned cities that- guess what?- have plenty of water.
--
aem sends...

I would guess that common sense is lacking, the world around. Of course, you can't tell em that.
I had dinner with my parents tonight. I mentioned something. He tells of the volunteer group he's been with, for twenty yeasrs. The one time they had a big meeting, they kept notes of all the things that had to happen, in order to get a good meeting going. Call the hotel, and find out the names of the conference rooms, so they can put in the programs that the Management meeting is in the Ballroom, and the trades working meeting is in the Seneca room. That kind of thing. The management of the volunteer group changed, and the new managers totally, and adamantly REFUSE to even consider accepting or looking at what the old guys did.
Same mentality that runs out of aquifier.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Piping water out of the Great Lakes will not happen. The states surrounding the Lakes and Canada won't allow it. If you don't like the water shortage in the southwest, don't live in the desert.
On 05 Apr 2010 01:34:29 GMT, Stepfann King

That is a simplistic answer that ignores the fact that the Ogallala Aquifer under the midwest farming states is also dropping at an alarming rate. Where are you going to move all of those wheat and corn fields to when they ruin out of water?
benick wrote:

Nation wide, and world wide, water tables are receding all the time. 100 years ago they still dug most wells by hand, now they drill 800 feet and more. Cities do a lot of damage to the water tables letting most of the rainwater run off to rivers instead of into the ground. It's easy to run out of fresh water. It's happening all the time. We can't just keep drilling wells deeper and deeper.
Tony wrote the following:

That's why the Earth has temperature cycles, like the current Global Warming. Pretty soon you'll be up to your ass in fresh water. Of course, the depth will be different for some people, depending upon how high on their body their ass is located. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The world will be up to it's ass in salt water, not fresh water. The ice shelves will melt into the ocean.
On Apr 5, 10:59�am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

the obvious solution is desalinating ocean water and pump it inland to places like phoenix.
costly but its a solution.
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:06:11 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Perhaps a solution for drinking water but it does not address agriculture where most of the water goes. The only good thing that might come out of "penny a gallon" tap water is people might abandon the most wasteful use of water, squirting on their lawn.

Around here there are springs bubbling up everywhere..There is several less than 100 feet from my house..My well is 150 feet deep...The deepest well I have heard of is 300 feet..Only to try to get iron free water...Most of the lakes are spring fed...Here we export water...Ever hear of Poland Springs Water ?? My bullshit meter is going off full blast....

There are certainly places that have plenty of water but they are decreasing in number. Another problem is some of these springs are being contaminated with various chemicals. The Ogallala Aquifer in the central states of the US may be the most troubling. That is the bread basket of America and when that water source is stressed it could affect our food supply. The central valley in California is already rationing water. We were there last year and saw vast stretches of crops turning brown in the field because they were denied water. South Florida is also rationing water in the dry season.

Just take a pill. When we renovated our bathroom 3 years ago we FINALLY swapped out the "high flow" toilet that was in the house when we bought it for a low-flow Toto Ultimate. The old toilet used gallons for each flush, yet we still needed a plunger frequently. The low-flow toilet has NEVER, EVER needed a second flush much less stopped up. It doesn't need to be scrubbed constantly like the old one, either. Just buy a QUALITY toilet, not a $99 one from a big box store.