Low Voltage Transfromer Question

I bought a hosue that has a low voltage outdoor lighitng in the backyard. The wire connects to a Toro transformer that has an eye on it to sense when it is dark and turn on the lights. There is a switch on the transformer with the settings DD 4 6 and 8. Does anyone know what those settings mean? Right now, it is set to 6 and when it gets dark (or I put my hand over the eye) the lights initially blink on for a second or two before they go out. thanks!

Reply to
mwieder

hmmm... I was hoping that the switch had something to do with voltage and that's why it was shutting off; If that's not it, what would be causing this behavior? It goes on for 2 seconds then off. If I unplug it wait a minute and plug it back in, it again goes on for 2 seconds, then off. Any idea? thanks!

Reply to
mwieder

DD would be dusk to dawn and the numbers are probably settings for how many hours it should stay on after dusk

Reply to
RBM

No, it's at night, pitch black out...

Reply to
mwieder

If this is during daylight, that would make sense. When you first apply power to a photocell, (the thing that turns the lights on and off by sensing light) it is in the closed or on position, it then senses light and turns off.

Reply to
RBM

According to :

You've left it alone for a full 24 hour cycle, and it doesn't come on and stay on (according to the DD/2/4/8 setting) consistently on its own?

[I ask, because sometimes the electronics in these things will act wierd if you try to "by hand" activate the sensor - time delays, hysteresis etc.]

You may be seeing an overcurrent trip. Count up the number of fixtures, and, after multiplying by the wattage levels of the lamp, is it less than the rating of the transformer?

[Most LV bulbs/fixture/transformer "kits" use 4W bulbs, and can be upgraded to 7W. High wattage units (10, 20 and even 50W) are available, but these are usually pretty obvious (usually "pro grade" metal fixtures, sometimes different bases, more serious enclosures to deal with heat etc). Most "kit" transformers are around 60W.]

The other possibilities are:

- short in the LV circuit. Try pulling all the bulbs (leaving one in) and see if it still trips. - defective transformer. The electronics in these things sometimes fries.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Thanks for the advice. It would seem a short in the line is the most likely cuplrit as I am leaving the lights connected for 24 hours and they still remain off, plus while maybe 10 fixtures exist on the line, only 3 or so have lightbulbs intact. I washoping to avoid a whole new installation since the wire that has been run was built into some landscaping that came after it but I may need to junk the whole thing...

Reply to
mwieder

In my experience, this problem is most likely caused by a short somewhere in the 12v line. If you just have too many fixtures, the lights will probably stay on for a longer time, unless you're WAY over. Suggest this: disconnect the 12v line from the transformer and substitute a short length of line with a single 12v light on it. If the light comes on and stays on, your problem is in the existing length of 12v wiring. If you still have problems, you have a problem internal to the transformer. (I'm assuming the unit you have is one of those inexpensive kits that comes with lights and a transformer. You can buy replacement transformers, with equal or greater wattage, for relatively little money --). Replacing the buried cable doesn't have to be expensive, but could be a PITA. Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

According to :

"Lightbulbs intact"? Oh...

Remove all the remains and clean/dry out the sockets, and try again.

If it still trips, try disconnecting the circuit from the transformer and try the other person's suggestion (short length of wire and one bulb). If it still trips, the transformer is bad.

Reply to
Chris Lewis