Low Voltage Recessed Lighting

Hello all,

I have a question about the quality of low voltage recessed lighting.

In the past, I have had light fixtures that were low voltage, and have had problems with the transformers failing after a year or so. I am not sure if I just bought junk light fixtures or not.

Anyway, I want to install the low voltage recessed lights, and I would like to know people's experiences with them. Who makes quality ones, and what should I avoid?

Thanks!

Reply to
michigan_t

Hello all,

I have a question about the quality of low voltage recessed lighting.

In the past, I have had light fixtures that were low voltage, and have had problems with the transformers failing after a year or so. I am not sure if I just bought junk light fixtures or not.

Anyway, I want to install the low voltage recessed lights, and I would like to know people's experiences with them. Who makes quality ones, and what should I avoid?

Thanks!

Reply to
michigan_t

I've only rarely had to replace defective transformers on low voltage recessed fixtures, regardless of which brand, but the sockets for MR-16 lamps burn out pretty frequently

Reply to
RBM

I've not had a problem with the transformers failing. Both the cheap generic Home Depot ones I installed 6 years ago, and the more expensive WAC Lighting brand fixtures bought last year, seem to be fine.

Reply to
Roger

I have never had a problem with the transformers. Is it possible that you were using the wrong (higher wattage) lamps or more lamps or mounting the transformer in a position where it might overheat?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Mine are ok after about a year & I haven't heard of other people having problems - you must have had bad transformers.

Reply to
ben.aust