Low Voltage Lighting Question...Help

I am considering a low voltage lighting system for my yard. Why do they all say that the transformer must be mounted outside. I wanted to mount mine in the garage as there is a GFCI receptical there. I can run the wire out the wall to the yard. Any ideas why they say must be mounted outside. Is it safe to mount it on the wall inside the garage?
John W
john wrote:

I can think of no reason why they would say that since it's low voltage, but I wouldn't just mount it againt the wall. Those transformers can over time overheat and the windings short and there is a poential for fire although small. Personally, if I wanted to mount it inside I would put it in a metal box that can breathe and that metal box mounted on something metal in case it does overheat. Another thing you could do for safety is to mount a thermal fuse on top of the transformer. I guess if it was outside in a metal box and it overheated it could cause no damage ??
Joey wrote:

The *transformer* is not low voltate, its dual voltage as that is what they do, transform. They also dump lots of heat. Some more than others depending on design.
If it says outside then it just means that is what it was designed for. Could be some funky chemicals inside or somethin!?
--
Thank you,

john wrote:

If the transformer is in a metal case, the case may contain the photocell to turn the system on/off. Wouldn't work if it was inside.
Different U.L. approval required if used inside a residence.

Look carefully, does it say MUST be outside or CAN be outside.
They are different ratings that can be confusing.
Generally inside an unheated garage is OK unless you have the photocell.
Richard Reid, LC Luminous Views