Low Voltage Lamp Post

Hi, The high voltage outside lighting along the driveway of my house has not worked in years. I want to replace them with low voltage ones. I found several lights I liked but I have a 'lamp post' at the end of my driveway and would like to replace that as well. Unfortunately every post fixture I have seen seems to be high voltage. Does anyone know where I can get any low voltage ones? (I have searched but not found any).

Also, does anyone know of a good motion sensor system for low voltage wiring?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
Stan Poliskey

High voltage is generally considered more than 69000 volts. Medium voltage is over 1000 volts to 69k.

Surely you mean line voltage, i.e. 120v.

Why not just modify the post for the light fixture of you choice.

Reply to
SQLit

Huh...I had the opposite situation. I had a low voltage post light that I wanted to replace with a 110v light because it was old and ugly. But, since the wiring was already installed for the existing 24v light, and I have an in-ground sprinkler system that would have been in harm's way should I try to run new wiring for a 110v light, I decided to replace it with another 24v light. The only place I could find them was through the local power company. So, you might want to check with your electric company. The only caveat: They'll probably be expensive.

-Doug

Reply to
D Duddles

Supply it lamp post with 12V and replace the socket and lamp with 12V lamp and socket. Keep the same lamp post.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I did this, I had some really neat old post lamps that I turned into free standing lights which I sat in the landscaping behind our pool. They were originally standard, line voltage lights. How I made it work with our low voltage (Malibu lighting) system was this: Go to your local big box and go into the electrical department. Find those screw in plugs which you can screw into a lightbulb socket and it has a single plug on it. Then grab yourself a small male end plug replacement like you would replace a worn one on the end of a cord. Then go to where the low voltage stuff is, and grab one of the cheapest fixtures, usually a few bucks. Usually the light bulb socket which the small 12v bulbs goes into are on a pigtail. I cut off the quick connects, wired it to the plug (I made mine about 2" high so it would stand up straight), wired the fixture to my low voltage wiring and screwed in the screw socket and plug your newly made socket into the screw plug. Easy!!!! John

Reply to
John