Low voltage (12v) wire in the same conduit as a 120v

A friend wants to run low voltage wiring for his landscaping, but also wants to run some feeds for larger lights elsewhere in the yard. He only wants to punch one hole in his basement wall and was wondering if he could run the 12v wires from the transformer in the same conduit he uses to run a 120v feed for his other lights. I tried looking in the 2005 NEC, but it led me to other questions. In 300.3(C)(1) it says that the cables can be run in the same enclosure as long as the insulation of the lower voltage circuit was rated for the voltage of the higher voltage circuit. Then it says unless it's a class 2 or class 3 device see 725.55. What would the class rating of the low voltage lighting be?
Thanks Shane
No, however he could run 12 volts through 120 volt conductors in the same conduit

You can't run them in the same pipe or box unless they are both cables (not individual conductors). Then you have to split them out before you crack into the 120v cable. UF is really the only 120v cable you could use. If he has a direct burial low voltage cable he can sleeve both through the wall in one pipe, then split them out in the same trench. You just can't keep them together in a box where he is making 120v connections.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

(330.3(C)(1) is wires not cables. So it does not apply to gfretwell's answer.)

I agree.
Combining *wires* in the raceway turns the class 2 or 3 circuit into normal wiring or class 1. You then can't use the easier wiring methods applicable to class 2 or 3.
--
bud--

wants
of
It is permissible under certain conditions, but it is not a good idea. You don't want those wires getting crossed. I certainly wouldn't advise a weekend electrician to do it that way. They make enough mistakes as it is. Mixing voltages is asking for trouble with a DIYer. If he rents a rotary hammer from Home Depot, making a hole in the basement wall won't be a problem.

I can never understand people who get all concerned about making a hole in their home. guess what? in building the home LOTS of holes were made everywhere, but most arent visible, covered by other stuff.......
geez 5 minutes and a cheap hammerdrill from harbor freight and your in business, done neatly who cares?