Low pressure water pump, single or triple phase?

My low water pressure pump(outside) went out. The plumber replacing it wanted to know if its singe or triple phase. I assume this is in regards to the electrical hookup of the pump? How would I tell? Its 220v thats all I know. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Look on the pump motor nameplate, it should read either 1 phase or 3 phase.

If you do not have a 3 phase service the answer is clear.
3 phase is on a home is RARE where I live.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

3 phase is unlikely it is usually only used for bigger motors. If your single phase voltage is 220v then the three phase voltage would be 380V.
If you take the cover off the electrical terminal cover on the motor you can see the difference. Three phase motors have at least a 3 power cores (red blue & yellow where I live) single phase has 2 power cores & possibly one earth connected to the motor chasis.

Usually 220VAC is single phase.....208 is usually 3 phase and would be unusual in a residential area.... Three phase would be 3 wires and a ground....single phase would be 2 wires and a ground....just count the wires.....Ross