low level deck

I am designing a low level deck that will be about 2 ft above grade. It will be an extension of an existing deck but will be out over existing lawn. I will either kill the grass or take it up with a shovel or sod cutter.

What are recommendations for what should be placed under the deck. My thoughts are to use some of the soil I will be removing for a side walk and slightly mound or slope the grade under the deck, then cover it with geotextile.

Any other thoughts? Thanks JD

Reply to
JD

The last time I did this I just covered the grass with landscape fabric, covered that with rock. Never killed or removed the grass. I did not have any problems with anything growing through. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You want good drainage under the deck, and something that discourages varmints. I hear about neighbors having to deal with skunks or groundhogs under the deck. A few inches of gravel is a good solution.

Reply to
Phisherman

JD: J > I am designing a low level deck that will be about 2 ft above grade. It J > will be an extension of an existing deck but will be out over existing lawn

J > I will either kill the grass or take it up with a shovel or sod cutter.

Probably not necessary: when we had our decks built as part of the addition project the deck was just placed above the grass, or what was left of the grass after being trampled. The deck is about 2«' above level with latticework to cover the space. Nothing appears to be growing under the deck except for the occasional weed right at the latticework boundary. You might want to place landscape fabric along the perimeter. I don't think you would want (white) stones or anything under the deck as it would show too much.

(Note: our deck area is fairly shady. If where you are placing the deck gets a lot of sun it may provide an area for the weeds.)

J > What are recommendations for what should be placed under the deck. J > My thoughts are to use some of the soil I will be removing for a side walk J > and slightly mound or slope the grade under the deck, then cover it with J > geotextile.

I would landscape so as to slope away from the foundation else you may create a puddling problem.

We have a fairly active wild critter count here. AFAIK none of the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits nor possums have set up home under the deck, though everyone except the possum has been seen racing through.

  • Windows 3.1! From the makers of EDLIN!
Reply to
barry martin