Low-income roofing options

I have a situation that has me a bit vexed so I thought I'd see if anyone else has been in the position and has a solution.

I know of an elderly couple, on a fixed income (SS). They own their home outright in a low-income neighborhood. Their roof has gone bad and they did not repair it due to financial reasons so the damage has gotten worse.

Although I can repair the walls relatively easily, I'm not a roofing guy but with my limited knowledge of roofing jobs I can tell this is not an easy one. It will probably bid out at 10-15 grand in this market. All money they do not have.

Is anyone aware of programs to assist folks under these conditions?

Reply to
JNJ

reverse mortgage?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

If you want to help them out, get on the phone to the local city & county. Here our county and different cities have a ready available list of programs along with what qualifies individuals for certain programs. Around my area, they have grants plus programs such as Christmas in October and a few other ones. Local suppliers donate the supplies, contractors sign up for donating workers or themselves. Besides getting a feel good feeling for helping the less fortunate out, suppliers etc. get local TV & newspaper coverage which promotes them in a better light than just plain advertising.

A couple phone calls should get the ball rolling.

Reply to
Smoley

if it is in a rural area they may check with Farmers home Administration.they have a grant and loan program for low income homeowners.Also many cities have grant programs.

Reply to
Jerry

in my area alot of corporations have a christmas in October, or something similar where they adopt an elderly couple or single person and go to their home and paint it and fit it up at no cost to the homeowner... i guess if they just need a new roof they can do that also.. the company i worked for about 4 yrs. ago did it, they do it just about every year... dont know where you live but in my area the Archdiosies (sp?) can supply the name of just about every charity in the area... give them or another large church group in your area and they can probably give you the name of some charity that will do it for these people..... and you also have to know... i know some old people who seem pretty poor, but they are loaded.. one guy has/ had about $500,000 in stocks and was out collecting cans after he got off of work,, he had a house in an old neighborhood and was bragging to me that he does not believe in A/C as it cost too much and he just keeps his windows closed and uses a fan inside the house to move the cool inside air around.. in the south with 98 deg. temp. he had no phone and asked the gen. manager of the local high rise hotel to show him how to get a phone...........

Reply to
jim

Sure. In *my* area. You'll need to find someone in your area who knows the local programs though. Start with the various support organizations, Catholic ministries, Habitat for Humanity and so on. They'll know what's in your area.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

In New Orleans, LA, there's something keyed to exactly this sort of situation called Christmas in October. Contact them and ask if there is anything similar in your neck of the woods. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
Ryan

I deleted the rest of the messages. For this reply I just want to respond to Ryan.

I suppose you call yourself a "good Christian"

I think not

God and people who believe in the principal of brotherly love helps those who need it.

When they need it.

Without asking, without expecting, without looking for a return on the investment.

I will answer the original poster in another response.

You may consider this the one time out of 500 that I flame a poster.

Reply to
Colbyt

Ryan's top posting Garbage deleted

In addition to the constructive suggestions offered by Jeff, also check with your local government. This folks may live in an area that is qualified to receive assistance under the "community block grant" program.

There also may be other monies from the state or local governments to help them.

Best wishes

Reply to
Colbyt