Low hot water volume

3500 sq foot house. I have 3/4 inch into the hot water tank, then into wall, where it probably reduces to 1/2 inch. everything I see anywhere in the house, crawl space, hot or cold is 1/2 inch. Cold water volume is OK. Turn any faucet, to full hot and the volume is instantly reduced, not the same as full cold. Shouldn't be though, the volume into hot water tank is the same as the volume into the cold side of any faucet, it just goes through the hot water tank first. How can I check whatever needs to be checked, where ever it is. Could there be a restricter on the hot water line in the wall I can't see, don't think so though.

Any thoughts

Thanks Bob

Reply to
ryker

Yes, flow should be about the same as the Cold side. I doubt there is any device inside the wall.

Could be a shut off valve on the Cold inlet to tank is either partly closed or has failed internally to block the flow.

Another good possibility is corrosion of the nipples connecting the tank Cold/Hot ports to the 3/4" piping.

I assume the house piping is either copper or plastic, not galv iron. If galv, then it would be suspect.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, If hard water area, tank capacity can be lessend by lime build up. How old is the tank and when is the last time you flushed it?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes the house is all copper. I have SS hose from cold inlet to hot/water tank, think I will hook up a hose to that, run outside and turn water on as if it was going into tank, that will tell me if the shutoff is bad. Do the same thing to outlet of hot on water tank will tell me if the tank is it I guess. Of course I will have to block the open fittings. If those are OK, then what?

Thanks Bob

PS Call a plumber.

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
ryker

stainless hose is cause, although they look big on the outside they are small on the inside..............

it acts as a restriction,

worse the rubber interior lining can detoriate over time, under full flow the lining gets a ripple slowing flow, sometimes to a trickle.

i leared all about this mucking with a washing machine slow fill and also my shower massage, the hose failed......... i thought the head failed changed it no better,,,,,,,,, cut hose apart the interior rubber was way too big and not attached to the outer sheath.....

a similar thing occurs with car brake hoses, push on brake pedal fluid flows to caliper, let go interior of hose ripples and acts like a check valve, brakes drag pads wear out, rotors overheat.

i suggest you put regular water line on your tank, toss the stainless.

DONT solder on the line going into tank, it will melt the dip tube, damage the tank and you will be replacing it.

theres a slight chance of debris clogging a valve but i think its the stainless line

Reply to
hallerb