Low hot water pressure

Hi, The hot water pressure in my house is getting noticeably low since the beginning of the year. The hot water still runs, but if there're two faucets running, there's barely enough hot water for both of them. I've tried draining the hot water tank, but problem still persists. I'm wondering if it's time to replace the hot water tank (which is 9 years old), or is it due to clogged pipes (I live in San Francisco bay area which have hard water)? Also, the shower in the bathroom that is closest to the hot water tank has no hot water. It seems like the pipe to the shower is clogged, but the hot water flows fine in the faucet next to the shower. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--DS

Reply to
No Spam

Find out what kind of pipe is in place. If it is galv iron (hold a magnet to it), internal corrosion is almost certainly causing the blockage.

Also possible that a single fitting or nipple is blocked. One common location is the heater nipple(s) on top of the heater.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Wild ass guess, remove the strainers and run the hot water. If there is an improvement then you need to clean or replace the strainers. Do this at every location there is a problem. A pair of vice grips or channel locks work well. Tape up the jaws so you do not score the strainers.

Reply to
SQLit

measure gpm with and without shower head, use CLR or lime away to clean shower head. Or its the pipes IF the water heater isnt at fault

Reply to
m Ransley

Broken dip-tube its clogging the works?

Reply to