low heat BBQ grill

Got a typical grill with 3 burners. 20 lb. OPD tank. Used to have good hot flame, now have low heat that barely reaches 350 degrees. Replaced the regulator and hoses today, no change. What gives? TIA, F

Reply to
fireant

burner rusty or obstructed by insect nest.

might also be a bad tank....

take it all apart, light at nite, how does flame look?

Reply to
hallerb

You can buy a skinny brush to clean inside the burner tubes. If I told you what you'd find in those tubes, you'd think I was kidding you. Get the brush and find out for yourself. Instead of going to the home stores, you might need to hit the yellow pages and find a specialty BBQ dealer for the brush.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Does your tank have the tri shaped handle? If so welcome to the club. The new PROTECT OUR ASSES valves inside the tank are the problem. My 3 tanks only deliver about 5/8 to 3/4 of the volume, on the best of days.

What works for me is to shut off the tank valve (everytime), Make sure that the valves on the grill are off. Crack the tank valve, finish opening. Then open one burner valve.

If your interested if you get a 46 gallon tank they do not have the PROTECT OUR ASSES valve inside of them. I am about to spend the $75 dollars for one.

Check with a propane place, not Circle K or Home despot about tanks in your area. My area has some good tanks available and some piss pour. They are mostly at the exchange places.

I could be on the moon considering the amount of information given.

Reply to
SQLit
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

If it's a typical Weber, you are lighting it wrong.

John

Reply to
John‰]

After you make sure the burner feed is clean of dirt and cobwebs, the regulator is the next suspect. Try to find a repair depot for your BBQ in your area and talk to the mechanic. Tell him you heard about some way to reset the regulator to allow full gas flow. That's what I had to do. On mine, the method was, just going from memory, shutting valves and tank off, opening tank fully, then opening valves quickly. Or was it the other way around? Can't remember now ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

If the OPD stops the flow, you shut everything off, then s l o w l y open the valves. The purpose of the OPD is to prevent a rush of gas if the tank is damaged and tipped in transport. When the tank is very full, the float comes to the top and can block the flow.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snow or spiderweb in the burner tube? other great bbq advice at:

buffalobill

I have flushed burners with a garden hose.

I do have a tank here thats full and I cant get any gas out of it at all.

beyond exchanging it full for another one any ideas?

Reply to
hallerb